AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA correlated ultrastructural and immunofluorescent study of anchoring fibrils and their principal constituent, type VII collagen, has been carried out on lobular epithelium from the normal adult human breast at different times in the menstrual cycle. Throughout the cycle, characteristic, cross-banded anchoring fibrils were seen inserting into the area of lamina densa opposite the myoepithelial hemi-desmosomes and in contact with anchoring-plaques. Strong immunofluorescent staining was seen in the full thickness of the zone between the basement membrane and the delimiting fibroblasts. The data establish anchoring fibrils and their type VII collagen nature as readily identifiable components of the epithelial-stromal interface in breast tissues and their significance, especially in the diagnostic context, is discussed.
CitationAnchoring fibrils and type VII collagen in human breast. 1990, 22 (3):477-9 J. Submicrosc. Cytol. Pathol.
JournalJournal of Submicroscopic Cytology and Pathology
- Adhesion complex formation after small keratectomy wounds in the cornea.
- Authors: Stock EL, Kurpakus MA, Sambol B, Jones JC
- Issue date: 1992 Feb
- Ultrastructural localization of laminin and type IV collagen in normal human breast.
- Authors: Fu HL, Moss J, Shore I, Slade MJ, Coombes RC
- Issue date: 2002 Mar-Apr
- The relationship of the biophysical and biochemical characteristics of type VII collagen to the function of anchoring fibrils.
- Authors: Bächinger HP, Morris NP, Lunstrum GP, Keene DR, Rosenbaum LM, Compton LA, Burgeson RE
- Issue date: 1990 Jun 15
- Striated anchoring fibrils-anchoring plaque complexes and their relation to hemidesmosomes of myoepithelial and secretory cells in mammary glands of lactating rats.
- Authors: Clermont Y, Xia L, Turner JD, Hermo L
- Issue date: 1993 Nov
- Anchoring fibrils form a complex network in human and rabbit cornea.
- Authors: Gipson IK, Spurr-Michaud SJ, Tisdale AS
- Issue date: 1987 Feb