AffiliationDepartment of Epidemiology and Social Oncology, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Withington, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOne hundred and forty-six women registered with a general practice and 84 members of health authority staff, who had attended a breast screening unit by invitation, completed a postal questionnaire about their reactions to screening. The staff of the unit also recorded their observations. The letter of invitation and accompanying health education leaflet were favourably received, and most women were glad of the opportunity offered, although some experienced anxiety. Few practical problems were reported with regard to attending the clinic. In general, the facilities in the clinic were thought to be of a high standard but specific criticisms included problems with access and privacy and feelings of claustrophobia. Some women experienced anxiety or discomfort when the mammogram was being taken, but many favourable comments were made about the helpfulness of staff. Almost all women said that they would return for screening if invited again.
CitationConsumer satisfaction with breast screening: a pilot study. 1990, 12 (1):15-8 J Public Health Med
JournalJournal of Public Health Medicine
- Does routine screening for breast cancer raise anxiety? Results from a three wave prospective study in England.
- Authors: Sutton S, Saidi G, Bickler G, Hunter J
- Issue date: 1995 Aug
- Satisfaction and anxiety for women during investigation of an abnormal screening mammogram.
- Authors: Hislop TG, Harris SR, Jackson J, Thorne SE, Rousseau EJ, Coldman AJ, Vestrup JA, Wright CJ, Olivotto IA
- Issue date: 2002 Dec
- The psychological effects of breast screening in terms of patients' perceived health anxieties.
- Authors: Swanson V, McIntosh IB, Power KG, Dobson H
- Issue date: 1996 Apr-May
- Response by women aged 65-79 to invitation for screening for breast cancer by mammography: a pilot study.
- Authors: Hobbs P, Kay C, Friedman EH, St Leger AS, Lambert C, Boggis CR, Howard TM, Owen AW, Asbury DL
- Issue date: 1990 Dec 8
- Study of socio-economic characteristics, diagnosis and outcome of women participating or not participating in mammogram screening.
- Authors: Padoan M, Ferrante D, Pretti G, Magnani C
- Issue date: 2014 Nov-Dec