AffiliationDepartment of Hematology, Hope Hospital, Salford, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe authors report a case of Castleman's disease in which the major clinical problems have been caused by severe thrombocytopenia and neutropenia. The cytopenias were caused by autoimmune destruction of mature cells as demonstrated by bone marrow findings and cell-specific antibody assays. There also was evidence of red cell autoantibody production but no overt hemolysis. The thrombocytopenia currently is controlled by intermittent vincristine, having proved refractory to steroids, splenectomy, and danazol and only partially responsive to high dose intravenous immunoglobulin. The neutropenia showed temporary improvement with immunoglobulin but has been resistant to all other therapy. This case provides further evidence for disordered immune regulation in Castleman's disease.
CitationAutoimmune cytopenias in Castleman's disease. 1990, 94 (1):101-4 Am. J. Clin. Pathol.
JournalAmerican Journal of Clinical Pathology
- Autoimmune thrombocytopenia and neutropenia after remission induction therapy for acute leukaemia.
- Authors: Chapman JF, Murphy MF, Minchinton RM, Metcalfe P, Lister TA, Waters AH
- Issue date: 1986 Aug
- [Exacerbation of autoimmune neutropenia to agranulocytosis in association with severe autoimmune thrombocytopenia and hemolytic anemia in a patient with Sjögren's syndrome].
- Authors: Shimoji S, Takiuchi Y, Maruoka H, Inoue D, Kimura T, Mori M, Nagai Y, Togami K, Tabata S, Kurata M, Matsushita A, Nagai K, Takahashi T
- Issue date: 2011 Jul
- Autoimmune thrombocytopenia and neutropenia after bone marrow transplantation.
- Authors: Minchinton RM, Waters AH
- Issue date: 1985 Sep
- Selective thrombocytopenia and neutropenia occurring after bone marrow transplantation--evidence of an auto-immune basis.
- Authors: Minchinton RM, Waters AH, Malpas JS, Gordon-Smith EC, Barrett AJ
- Issue date: 1984
- Castleman's disease associated with pemphigus vulgaris.
- Authors: Gili A, Ngan BY, Lester R
- Issue date: 1991 Nov