The inter-regional epidemiological study of childhood cancer (IRESCC): case-control study of children with central nervous system tumours.
AuthorsBirch, Jillian M
Hartley, Ann L
Teare, M Dawn
McKinney, Patricia A
Mann, J R
Stiller, C A
Draper, G J
Johnston, H E
Cartwright, R A
AffiliationCRC Paediatric and Familial Cancer Research Group, Christie Hospital & Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTumours of the central nervous system comprise 23% of all childhood cancers and form the most common group of solid malignancies. Little is know about their aetiology. The present report concerns the results of a case-control study of 78 incident cases of central nervous system tumours in children. No case-control differences were detected for the following: pre-natal diagnostic X-rays, general anaesthetics during pregnancy, pregnancy infections, pregnancy drugs (including sedatives, tranquillizers and anti-convulsants), alcohol consumption in pregnancy, child's birthweight, breast-feeding, childhood illnesses, previous medication in the child. A significant excess of case mothers had suffered from diseases of the nervous system (RR 2.6). There was a deficit of children who had been immunised among the case children which approached significance, and an excess of congenital abnormalities among cases which also approached significance. There was a small excess of neoplastic disease among case parents. The results of this study suggest that in our patients genetic rather than environmental factors are more important, but the small numbers included in the present study meant that no definite conclusions could be reached.
CitationThe inter-regional epidemiological study of childhood cancer (IRESCC): case-control study of children with central nervous system tumours. 1990, 4 (1):17-25 Br J Neurosurg
JournalBritish Journal of Neurosurgery
- The Inter-Regional, Epidemiological Study of Childhood Cancer (IRESCC): case-control study in children with germ cell tumours.
- Authors: Johnston HE, Mann JR, Williams J, Waterhouse JA, Birch JM, Cartwright RA, Draper GJ, Hartley AL, McKinney PA, Hopton PA
- Issue date: 1986 May
- The Inter-Regional Epidemiological Study of Childhood Cancer (IRESCC): past medical history in children with cancer.
- Authors: Hartley AL, Birch JM, McKinney PA, Blair V, Teare MD, Carrette J, Mann JR, Stiller CA, Draper GJ, Johnston HE
- Issue date: 1988 Sep
- The inter-regional epidemiological study of childhood cancer (IRESCC): a case control study of aetiological factors in leukaemia and lymphoma.
- Authors: McKinney PA, Cartwright RA, Saiu JM, Mann JR, Stiller CA, Draper GJ, Hartley AL, Hopton PA, Birch JM, Waterhouse JA
- Issue date: 1987 Mar
- The Inter-Regional Epidemiological Study of Childhood Cancer (IRESCC): case control study of children with bone and soft tissue sarcomas.
- Authors: Hartley AL, Birch JM, McKinney PA, Teare MD, Blair V, Carrette J, Mann JR, Draper GJ, Stiller CA, Johnston HE
- Issue date: 1988 Dec
- Childhood nervous system tumours: an assessment of risk associated with paternal occupations involving use, repair or manufacture of electrical and electronic equipment.
- Authors: Johnson CC, Spitz MR
- Issue date: 1989 Dec