Glutathione S-transferase activity and isoenzyme distribution in ovarian tumour biopsies taken before or after cytotoxic chemotherapy.
AffiliationCRC Department of Medical Oncology, University of Manchester, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA study involving the measurement of glutathione S-transferase activities and isoenzyme distributions in human ovarian tumours has been carried out. These tumours have been obtained either at initial debulking surgery, prior to cytotoxic chemotherapy, or at second look laparotomy following chemotherapy. The response rates of these two groups to chemotherapy differ markedly, with patients who have relapsed following initial chemotherapy showing a reduction in response rates to subsequent chemotherapy. Analysis of these data show no statistically significant differences between the glutathione S-transferase activity or isoenzyme distribution in these two groups of patients. Significant differences were observed in the glutathione-S-transferase activities (GST) between tumours and normal ovaries. GST activities in pre-chemotherapy tumours (n = 33, P = 0.01) and post-chemotherapy tumours (n = 20, P = 0.001) where significantly higher than the GST activity in normal ovaries (n = 15). One feature was the expression of the basic isoenzyme which is expressed more in normal ovaries than in tumours. No differences in these parameters were observed in normal peritoneal tissue taken from patients before or after chemotherapy. These data do not support the hypothesis that changes in glutathione S-transferase enzyme activity or isoenzyme expression are major determinants of response to chemotherapy in ovarian tumours.
CitationGlutathione S-transferase activity and isoenzyme distribution in ovarian tumour biopsies taken before or after cytotoxic chemotherapy. 1992, 66 (5):937-42 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Glutathione-S-transferase activity and isoenzyme levels measured by two methods in ovarian cancer, and their value as markers of disease outcome.
- Authors: Wrigley EC, McGown AT, Buckley H, Hall A, Crowther D
- Issue date: 1996 Mar
- Glutathione S-transferase activity and isoenzyme composition in benign ovarian tumours, untreated malignant ovarian tumours, and malignant ovarian tumours after platinum/cyclophosphamide chemotherapy.
- Authors: van der Zee AG, van Ommen B, Meijer C, Hollema H, van Bladeren PJ, de Vries EG
- Issue date: 1992 Nov
- The relationship between tumour glutathione concentration, glutathione S-transferase isoenzyme expression and response to single agent carboplatin in epithelial ovarian cancer patients.
- Authors: Ghazal-Aswad S, Hogarth L, Hall AG, George M, Sinha DP, Lind M, Calvert AH, Sunter JP, Newell DR
- Issue date: 1996 Aug
- Heterogeneity of glutathione S-transferase enzyme and gene expression in ovarian carcinoma.
- Authors: Schisselbauer JC, Hogan WM, Buetow KH, Tew KD
- Issue date: 1992 Apr
- Estimation of glutathione S-transferase and its Pi isoenzyme in tumor tissues and sera of patients with ovarian cancer.
- Authors: Ghalia AA, Rabboh NA, el Shalakani A, Seada L, Khalifa A
- Issue date: 2000 Mar-Apr