The capacity of peripheral blood stem cells mobilised with chemotherapy plus G-CSF to repopulate irradiated marrow stroma in vitro is similar to that of bone marrow.
AffiliationCRC Department of Experimental Haematology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAfter treatment of patients with intermediate or high grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma with chemotherapy plus G-CSF the numbers of haemopoietic progenitor cells in the circulation increased to a mean of 226-fold for mixed CFC (Mix-CFC), 278-fold for GM-CFC and 29-fold for erythroid burst forming unit (BFU-E). The mean increase was modest (7-12-fold) for patients treated with chemotherapy alone. Peripheral blood mononuclear cells harvested at the time of the peak in the numbers of progenitors, or 2-4 days before the peak, seeded onto irradiated marrow stroma in vitro, repopulated the stroma and generated active haemopoiesis at least as effectively as bone marrow cells on a cell per cell basis. This is in contrast to the poor repopulating capacity of pretreatment blood. The results indicate that not only the progenitor cells, but also the repopulating stem cells migrated into the blood after chemotherapy plus G-CSF in sufficient numbers to allow harvesting and successful grafting without the possible complication of late haemopoietic failure.
CitationThe capacity of peripheral blood stem cells mobilised with chemotherapy plus G-CSF to repopulate irradiated marrow stroma in vitro is similar to that of bone marrow. 1992, 28 (2-3):381-6 Eur. J. Cancer
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- Transplantation potential of hematopoietic cells released into the circulation during routine chemotherapy for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Authors: Pettengell R, Testa NG, Swindell R, Crowther D, Dexter TM
- Issue date: 1993 Oct 1
- Mobilisation kinetics of primitive haemopoietic cells following G-CSF with or without chemotherapy for advanced breast cancer.
- Authors: Baumann I, Swindell R, Van Hoeff ME, Dexter TM, de Wynter E, Lange C, Luft T, Howell A, Testa NG
- Issue date: 1996 Dec
- Mobilization of peripheral blood progenitor cells following CHOP treatment combined with delayed granulocyte colony-stimulating factor administration in patients with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Authors: Takano H, Sawada K, Sato N, Natoya A, Tarumi T, Hirayama S, Koizumi K, Takahashi TA, Sekiguchi S, Koike T
- Issue date: 1996 May
- Combined chemotherapy and granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF) mobilise large numbers of peripheral blood progenitor cells in pretreated patients.
- Authors: Lickliter JD, Begley CG, Boyd AW, Szer J, Grigg AP
- Issue date: 1994 Sep
- Correlation of colony-forming cells, long-term culture initiating cells and CD34+ cells in apheresis products from patients mobilized for peripheral blood progenitors with different regimens.
- Authors: Bender JG, Lum L, Unverzagt KL, Lee W, Van Epps D, George S, Coon J, Ghalie R, McLeod B, Kaizer H
- Issue date: 1994 Apr