Recombinant human interleukin 4 (IL-4) given as daily subcutaneous injections--a phase I dose toxicity trial.
AuthorsGilleece, Maria H
Scarffe, J Howard
Ghosh, Anna K
Heyworth, Clare M
Testa, Nydia G
Stern, Peter L
Dexter, T Michael
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign, Department of Experimental Haematology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRecombinant Interleukin 4 was administered by subcutaneous injection at daily doses of 0.5, 1.0 or 5.0 micrograms kg-1 to nine patients as part of a Phase I Dose Toxicity Study. Dose limiting toxicity was reached at 5 micrograms kg-1 day-1. Symptoms of toxicity included fatigue, 'flu like symptoms and elevated liver enzymes. Modest but significant elevations of neutrophil and platelet counts occurred. No clear evidence of antitumour effects emerged although pain in metastatic lymph nodes and a small fall in myeloma paraprotein levels during dosing were observed. In vitro and murine in vivo studies indicate that patients with lymphoproliferative disease should be selected for Phase II trials.
CitationRecombinant human interleukin 4 (IL-4) given as daily subcutaneous injections--a phase I dose toxicity trial. 1992, 66 (1):204-10 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Phase I trial of subcutaneous interleukin-6 in patients with advanced malignancies.
- Authors: Weber J, Yang JC, Topalian SL, Parkinson DR, Schwartzentruber DS, Ettinghausen SE, Gunn H, Mixon A, Kim H, Cole D
- Issue date: 1993 Mar
- Safety evaluation of recombinant human interleukin-4. II. Clinical studies.
- Authors: Leach MW, Rybak ME, Rosenblum IY
- Issue date: 1997 Apr
- Phase I study of intravenously administered bacterially synthesized granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor and comparison with subcutaneous administration.
- Authors: Lieschke GJ, Maher D, O'Connor M, Green M, Sheridan W, Rallings M, Bonnem E, Burgess AW, McGrath K, Fox RM
- Issue date: 1990 Feb 1
- Biologic effects of recombinant human interleukin-3 in vivo.
- Authors: Lindemann A, Ganser A, Herrmann F, Frisch J, Seipelt G, Schulz G, Hoelzer D, Mertelsmann R
- Issue date: 1991 Dec
- Phase I trial of continuous infusion recombinant human interleukin-4 in patients with cancer.
- Authors: Majhail NS, Hussein M, Olencki TE, Budd GT, Wood L, Elson P, Bukowski RM
- Issue date: 2004 Nov