A dosimetric intercomparison of megavoltage photon beams in UK radiotherapy centres.
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Physics and Medical Engineering, University of Edinburg, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA dosimetry intercomparison has been carried out for all 64 radiotherapy centres in the UK. Doses were measured with an ionization chamber in an epoxy resin water-substitute phantom of relatively simple geometry. Reference-point measurements were made for all MV photon beams. For 61 Co-60 beams, a mean ratio of measured-to-stated dose of 1.002 was observed with a standard deviation of 0.014, whilst for 100 MV x-ray beams, the corresponding figures were 1.003 and 0.015. 97% of beams lay within a +/- 3% deviation. One measurement was instrumental in discovering a large discrepancy. Doses were also investigated in two planned three-field distributions at one beam quality in each centre. One of these was in a homogeneous phantom, whilst the second included a lung-equivalent insert. Doses were measured at the central point and at four other points in the high dose volume. In both situations, the mean ratio of measured-to-calculated doses for all points was 1.008, with standard deviations of 0.027 and 0.035 for the uniform and non-uniform phantoms, respectively. Discrepancies over 5% were followed up. The work must be viewed in the context of other international intercomparisons and is an essential part of wider radiotherapy audit processes.
CitationA dosimetric intercomparison of megavoltage photon beams in UK radiotherapy centres. 1992, 37 (2):445-61 Phys Med Biol
JournalPhysics in Medicine and Biology
- A dosimetric intercomparison of kilovoltage X-rays, megavoltage photons and electrons in the Republic of Ireland.
- Authors: Nisbet A, Thwaites DI, Sheridan ME
- Issue date: 1998 Jul
- A dosimetric intercomparison of electron beams in UK radiotherapy centres.
- Authors: Nisbet A, Thwaites DI
- Issue date: 1997 Dec
- Quality audit of megavoltage radiotherapy units: intercomparison of dose at a reference point using a mailed TL-dosimetry system.
- Authors: Davis B, Faessler P
- Issue date: 1993 Jul
- Quality assurance network in central Europe. External audit on output calibration for photon beams.
- Authors: Izewska J, Novotny J, Gwiazdowska B, Kindlova A, Kontra G, van Dam J, Dutreix A, van der Schueren E
- Issue date: 1995
- Dosimetric audits of photon beams in radiation therapy centres in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Authors: da Rosa LA, Brito RR, Gonçalves M, de Paiva E, Dovales AC, Freire BL, Giannoni RA, Di Prinzio R, Velasco AF, Castelo LH, Oliveira RV
- Issue date: 2008