AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology and Medical Statistics, Christie Hospital, Withington, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA study was started in 1976 whereby patients with Stage II and operable Stage III MBC were given adjuvant Tamoxifen for 1 year, increasing to 2 years from 1988. All patients had axillary nodal involvement. Primary treatment consisted of a radical mastectomy or simple mastectomy with radiotherapy. The rarity of the disease precluded a randomised trial. Thirty-nine patients are available for analysis at a median follow-up of 49 months. The actuarial survival of the Tamoxifen treated patients is 61% (range 42-80%) at 5 years compared to 44% (range 35-53%) for historical controls (P = 0.006). Disease-free survival was 56% (37-75%) vs 28% (17-33%) at 5 years (P = 0.005). There were no serious side-effects recorded. The conclusion from this, the first reported series on adjuvant Tamoxifen therapy for MBC, is that significant improvement in disease-free survival can be achieved with minimal upset to the patients. Recruitment to the study continues.
CitationAdjuvant tamoxifen for male breast cancer (MBC). 1992, 65 (2):252-4 Br J Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Postoperative radiotherapy in high-risk postmenopausal breast-cancer patients given adjuvant tamoxifen: Danish Breast Cancer Cooperative Group DBCG 82c randomised trial.
- Authors: Overgaard M, Jensen MB, Overgaard J, Hansen PS, Rose C, Andersson M, Kamby C, Kjaer M, Gadeberg CC, Rasmussen BB, Blichert-Toft M, Mouridsen HT
- Issue date: 1999 May 15
- Adjuvant endocrine therapy plus zoledronic acid in premenopausal women with early-stage breast cancer: 62-month follow-up from the ABCSG-12 randomised trial.
- Authors: Gnant M, Mlineritsch B, Stoeger H, Luschin-Ebengreuth G, Heck D, Menzel C, Jakesz R, Seifert M, Hubalek M, Pristauz G, Bauernhofer T, Eidtmann H, Eiermann W, Steger G, Kwasny W, Dubsky P, Hochreiner G, Forsthuber EP, Fesl C, Greil R, Austrian Breast and Colorectal Cancer Study Group, Vienna, Austria.
- Issue date: 2011 Jul
- Postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy followed by adjuvant tamoxifen versus nil for patients with operable breast cancer: a randomised phase III trial of the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer Breast Group.
- Authors: Morales L, Canney P, Dyczka J, Rutgers E, Coleman R, Cufer T, Welnicka-Jaskiewicz M, Nortier J, Bogaerts J, Therasse P, Paridaens R, European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer Breast Group., Scottish Breast Cancer Trials Group.
- Issue date: 2007 Jan
- Randomized trial of chemoendocrine therapy started before or after surgery for treatment of primary breast cancer.
- Authors: Powles TJ, Hickish TF, Makris A, Ashley SE, O'Brien ME, Tidy VA, Casey S, Nash AG, Sacks N, Cosgrove D
- Issue date: 1995 Mar
- A randomised trial of mastectomy only versus tamoxifen for treating elderly patients with operable primary breast cancer-final results at 20-year follow-up.
- Authors: Chakrabarti J, Kenny FS, Syed BM, Robertson JF, Blamey RW, Cheung KL
- Issue date: 2011 Jun