AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology and Medical Statistics, Christie Hospital, Withington, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA study was started in 1976 whereby patients with Stage II and operable Stage III MBC were given adjuvant Tamoxifen for 1 year, increasing to 2 years from 1988. All patients had axillary nodal involvement. Primary treatment consisted of a radical mastectomy or simple mastectomy with radiotherapy. The rarity of the disease precluded a randomised trial. Thirty-nine patients are available for analysis at a median follow-up of 49 months. The actuarial survival of the Tamoxifen treated patients is 61% (range 42-80%) at 5 years compared to 44% (range 35-53%) for historical controls (P = 0.006). Disease-free survival was 56% (37-75%) vs 28% (17-33%) at 5 years (P = 0.005). There were no serious side-effects recorded. The conclusion from this, the first reported series on adjuvant Tamoxifen therapy for MBC, is that significant improvement in disease-free survival can be achieved with minimal upset to the patients. Recruitment to the study continues.
CitationAdjuvant tamoxifen for male breast cancer (MBC). 1992, 65 (2):252-4 Br J Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- The impact of tamoxifen on breast recurrence, cosmesis, complications, and survival in estrogen receptor-positive early-stage breast cancer.
- Authors: Fowble B, Fein DA, Hanlon AL, Eisenberg BL, Hoffman JP, Sigurdson ER, Daly MB, Goldstein LJ
- Issue date: 1996 Jul 1
- Long-term follow-up of axillary node-positive breast cancer patients receiving adjuvant tamoxifen alone: patterns of recurrence.
- Authors: Fisher BJ, Perera FE, Cooke AL, Opeitum A, Stitt L
- Issue date: 1998 Aug 1
- Postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy followed by adjuvant tamoxifen versus nil for patients with operable breast cancer: a randomised phase III trial of the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer Breast Group.
- Authors: Morales L, Canney P, Dyczka J, Rutgers E, Coleman R, Cufer T, Welnicka-Jaskiewicz M, Nortier J, Bogaerts J, Therasse P, Paridaens R, European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer Breast Group., Scottish Breast Cancer Trials Group.
- Issue date: 2007 Jan
- Positive effect of tamoxifen as part of adjuvant chemo-endocrine therapy for breast cancer. Hokkaido Adjuvant Chemo-Endocrine Therapy for Breast Cancer Study Group.
- Authors: Uchino J, Samejima N, Tanabe T, Hayasaka H, Mito M, Hata Y, Asaishi K
- Issue date: 1994 Apr