Doxorubicin in advanced breast cancer: influence of schedule on response, survival and quality of life.
AuthorsRichards, M A
Ramirez, A J
Twelves, C J
Ferguson, Janice E
Gregory, W M
AffiliationImperial Cancer Research Fund, Guy's Hospital, London, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe influence of scheduling of doxorubicin on response, survival and quality of life was assessed in a randomised trial in patients with advanced breast cancer, none of whom had previously received cytotoxic chemotherapy for advanced disease. 28 patients received 75 mg/m2 doxorubicin every 3 weeks for four courses (arm 1) and 31 patients received 25 mg/m2 weekly for 12 courses (arm 2). Response rates and median time to progression were similar in the two arms and median survival was 8 months in both arms. However, amongst patients receiving treatment every 3 weeks, psychological distress measured using the Rotterdam symptom checklist fell significantly over the course; no such change was observed in those treated weekly. Physical symptoms related to cancer improved during treatment similarly for both groups.
CitationDoxorubicin in advanced breast cancer: influence of schedule on response, survival and quality of life. 1992, 28A (6-7):1023-8 Eur J Cancer
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- Paclitaxel by 24-hour infusion with doxorubicin by 48-hour infusion as initial therapy for metastatic breast cancer: phase I results.
- Authors: Holmes FA, Valero V, Walters RS, Theriault RL, Booser DJ, Gibbs H, Fraschini G, Buzdar AU, Willey J, Frye D, Asmar L, Hortobagyi GN
- Issue date: 1999 Apr
- Effects on quality of life, anti-cancer responses, breast conserving surgery and survival with neoadjuvant docetaxel: a randomised study of sequential weekly versus three-weekly docetaxel following neoadjuvant doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide in women with primary breast cancer.
- Authors: Walker LG, Eremin JM, Aloysius MM, Vassanasiri W, Walker MB, El-Sheemy M, Cowley G, Beer J, Samphao S, Wiseman J, Jibril JA, Valerio D, Clarke DJ, Kamal M, Thorpe GW, Baria K, Eremin O
- Issue date: 2011 May 18
- A multicenter prospective phase II randomized trial of epirubicin/vinorelbine versus pegylated liposomal doxorubicin/vinorelbine as first-line treatment in advanced breast cancer. A GOIM study.
- Authors: Vici P, Colucci G, Giotta F, Sergi D, Filippelli G, Perri P, Botti C, Vizza E, Carpino A, Pizzuti L, Latorre A, Giannarelli D, Lopez M, Di Lauro L
- Issue date: 2011 Apr 12
- Phase II trial of doxorubicin/docetaxel/cyclophosphamide for locally advanced and metastatic breast cancer: results from NSABP trial BP-58.
- Authors: Smith RE, Anderson SJ, Brown A, Scholnik AP, Desai AM, Kardinal CG, Lembersky BC, Mamounas EP
- Issue date: 2002 Dec
- Doxorubicin versus mitomycin versus doxorubicin plus mitomycin in advanced breast cancer: a randomized study.
- Authors: Andersson M, Daugaard S, von der Maase H, Mouridsen HT
- Issue date: 1986 Oct