Computer-assisted generation of multi-leaf collimator settings for conformation therapy.
AuthorsHounsell, Alan R
Sharrock, Phillip J
Moore, Christopher J
Shaw, A J
Wilkinson, John M
Williams, Peter C
AffiliationNorth Western Medical Physics Department, Christie Hospital & Holt Radium Institute, Withington, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTechniques for the automatic set up of the individual leaf positions of a Philips multi-leaf collimator system to cover a defined target volume are described. Tumour outline data for multi-field treatments may be obtained from one of two techniques, either from simulator images or from cross-sectional computed tomography (CT) slices. In the first technique, simulator images are digitized directly from image intensifier video signals or from conventional film radiographs using a CCD camera. Corrections for image distortion are carried out before reformatting the digitized images to a common data structure. Target outlines are subsequently traced interactively on the digital image to create an outline file. In the second technique, target volumes are defined on several individual CT slices and these are then used to obtain projected graphical views from any desired angle. In both techniques, a scaled graphical representation of leaf positions is then displayed and set relative to the outer edge of the target outline. Both techniques allow interactive repositioning of single leaves when required, or the operator can specify a margin around the projected target volume. Leaf prescription data files are created and are transferred via a Decnet-OSI-Opennet network link to an Intel microcomputer, which is used to drive the device itself. Examples of both techniques are given.
CitationComputer-assisted generation of multi-leaf collimator settings for conformation therapy. 1992, 65 (772):321-6 Br J Radiol
JournalThe British Journal of Radiology
- High technology to simplify the planning and delivery of radiotherapy.
- Authors: Hounsell AR, Marrs JE, Moore CJ, Sharrock PJ, Shaw AJ, Wilkinson JM, Williams PC
- Issue date: 1993 Nov
- Dosimetric evaluation of the conformation of the multileaf collimator to irregularly shaped fields.
- Authors: Frazier A, Du M, Wong J, Vicini F, Taylor R, Yu C, Matter R, Martinez A, Yan D
- Issue date: 1995 Dec 1
- Technical note: computed tomography imaging with a radiotherapy simulator.
- Authors: Engelbrecht JS, Duvenage J, Willemse CA, Lötter MG, Goedhals L
- Issue date: 1995 Jun
- Comparison of simulator-CT versus simulator fluoroscopy versus surface marking based radiation treatment planning: a prospective study by three-dimensional evaluation.
- Authors: Suhag V, Kaushal V, Yadav R, Das BP
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- Computed simulationgraphy: concept and method of clinical application.
- Authors: Ogino T, Hanai K, Egawa S, Takano H
- Issue date: 1990 Jan-Feb