AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, Christie Hospital, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAIMS: To establish criteria of adequacy for bone marrow trephine biopsy specimens and to audit the quality of trephines performed at the Christie Hospital, Manchester. METHODS: Trephines (n = 767) performed over 12 months were reviewed. Their lengths, and the lengths of their constituent parts (soft tissue, cortex, crushed marrow and interpretable marrow) were measured. The mean performance of each operator was calculated. Criteria of adequacy were established by a review of the published findings and an analysis of the relation between trephine length and the rate of infiltration by tumour. RESULTS: Before processing, the average trephine was 1.59 cm long. Trephines shrunk by 25% during processing. In histological sections the average length was 1.15 cm, consisting of 0.09 cm of soft tissue, 0.04 cm of cortex, 0.26 cm of disrupted marrow and 0.74 cm of interpretable marrow. A large number of operators were taking trephine biopsy specimens and their performance varied considerably. Review of the published findings suggested that the minimum adequate length is in the range 1.5 cm to 2.0 cm. The analysis of the relation between length of trephine and the rate of positivity for neoplasia yielded a minimum adequate length of 1.2 cm in section (1.6 cm before processing). Fifty eight per cent of the trephines were inadequate by this criterion. There was a tendency for the Jamshidi needle to produce a longer trephine than the Islam needle. CONCLUSION: According to objective criteria, at the Christie Hospital, many operators are producing a high proportion of inadequate bone marrow trephines.
CitationAudit of bone marrow trephines. 1992, 45 (12):1105-8 J Clin Pathol
JournalJournal of Clinical Pathology
- An audit of length of bone marrow trephine biopsies at a tertiary care hospital.
- Authors: ur Rehman S, Zafar L, Kazi F, ur Rehman Z, Luqman M
- Issue date: 2010 Oct-Dec
- Adequacy of bone marrow trephine biopsy specimens in children.
- Authors: Reid MM, Roald B
- Issue date: 1996 Mar
- Adequacy of trephine bone marrow biopsies: the doctor and the patient make a difference.
- Authors: Rudzki Z, Partyła T, Okoń K, Stachura J
- Issue date: 2005
- Comparison of the bone marrow trephine sample quality between OnControl drill system and the Jamshidi needle.
- Authors: Forwood KM, Lee E, Crispin PJ
- Issue date: 2019 Jun
- ICSH guidelines for the standardization of bone marrow specimens and reports.
- Authors: Lee SH, Erber WN, Porwit A, Tomonaga M, Peterson LC, International Council for Standardization In Hematology.
- Issue date: 2008 Oct