Primary malignant lymphoma of the thyroid: a clinicopathological analysis.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiotherapy and Oncology, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA retrospective analysis of 70 patients with primary malignant lymphoma of the thyroid treated at this institute between 1965-1983 has been conducted. The clinicopathological features and prognostic factors have been studied. The mean age was 67.5 years and there was a marked female:male ratio of 8:1. A total of 32 (45.7%) Stage IE and 38 (54.3%) Stage IIE patients were identified. In 64 cases histological material was reviewed and classified employing the Kiel classification. All the tumors were of B cell lineage and the majority were follicle center cell type. A biopsy only was performed in 27 patients, lobectomy in 11 patients, subtotal thyroidectomy in 27 and macroscopic thyroidectomy in 5 patients. All patients were treated with radiotherapy. The overall 5-year survival was 42%, with 63% for Stage IE and 27% for Stage IIE. The corrected overall 5-year survival was 49% with 68% for Stage IE and 36% for Stage IIE. The corresponding overall relapse free survival was 42% with 60% for Stage IE, and 31% for Stage IIE. Factors of prognostic significance for relapse and survival were stage, radiotherapy dose, stridor, retrosternal extension and fixation.
CitationPrimary malignant lymphoma of the thyroid: a clinicopathological analysis. 1992, 22 (5):929-33 Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys
JournalInternational Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics
- Outcome analysis for stage IE and IIE thyroid lymphoma.
- Authors: DiBiase SJ, Grigsby PW, Guo C, Lin HS, Wasserman TH
- Issue date: 2004 Apr
- Primary lymphoma of the thyroid: clinical features, prognostic factors, and results of treatment.
- Authors: Tupchong L, Hughes F, Harmer CL
- Issue date: 1986 Oct
- Primary gastric lymphomas: a clinicopathologic study with literature review.
- Authors: Roukos DH, Hottenrott C, Encke A, Baltogiannis G, Casioumis D
- Issue date: 1994 Apr
- [Prognostic factors of primary non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of the nasal cavity--a report of 129 cases].
- Authors: Yao B, Li YX, Fang H, Jin J, Liu XF, Yu ZH
- Issue date: 2006 Apr
- Malignant lymphoma of the thyroid gland: a clinicopathologic study of 108 cases.
- Authors: Derringer GA, Thompson LD, Frommelt RA, Bijwaard KE, Heffess CS, Abbondanzo SL
- Issue date: 2000 May