Prognostic relevance of DNA ploidy in rhabdomyosarcomas and other sarcomas of childhood.
AffiliationChristie Hospital, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA study of DNA content by flow cytometry revealed a significant difference between rhabdomyosarcomas, which were mainly non-diploid, and other sarcomas of children which were mainly diploid (p = 0.01). There was no association between DNA ploidy and survival or aggressive behaviour of the tumour as indicated for example by advanced clinical stage or unfavourable histology. While DNA ploidy correlated with age, it did not correlate with any other clinical characteristic. The apparent lack of prognostic value of DNA content may have been masked by some high CV values and overridden by the effect of chemotherapy which was the most significant variable in determining a patient's survival (p = 0.00005).
CitationPrognostic relevance of DNA ploidy in rhabdomyosarcomas and other sarcomas of childhood., 12 (4):1173-7 Anticancer Res
- DNA ploidy and proliferative activity (S-phase) in childhood soft-tissue sarcomas: their value as prognostic indicators.
- Authors: Niggli FK, Powell JE, Parkes SE, Ward K, Raafat F, Mann JR, Stevens MC
- Issue date: 1994 Jun
- Flow and image cytometric DNA analysis in rhabdomyosarcoma.
- Authors: Kowal-Vern A, Gonzalez-Crussi F, Turner J, Trujillo YP, Chou P, Herman C, Castelli M, Walloch J
- Issue date: 1990 Sep 15
- Flow cytometric DNA content analysis of 185 soft tissue neoplasms indicates that S-phase fraction is a prognostic factor for sarcomas. French Federation of Cancer Centers (FNCLCC) Sarcoma Group.
- Authors: Collin F, Chassevent A, Bonichon F, Bertrand G, Terrier P, Coindra JM
- Issue date: 1997 Jun 15
- Prognostic significance of DNA ploidy and proliferative index (MIB-1 index) in childhood rhabdomyosarcoma.
- Authors: San Miguel-Fraile P, Carrillo-Gijón R, Rodriguez-Peralto JL, Badiola IA
- Issue date: 2004 Mar
- Rhabdomyosarcoma of the adult head and neck: a clinicopathological and DNA ploidy study.
- Authors: el-Naggar AK, Batsakis JG, Ordóñez NG, Luna MA, Goepfert H
- Issue date: 1993 Aug