AffiliationDepartment of Reproductive Pathology and the University Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, St Mary's Hospital, Manchester Department of Medical Statistics, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Royal Victoria Hospital, Blackpool.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe 235 patients with stage IB/IIA cervical carcinoma treated by Wertheim's hysterectomy, as a primary procedure, at St Mary's Hospital, Manchester between 1975 and 1989 inclusive, form the basis of this study. Using Cox's regression model, four variables were shown to have independent prognostic significance. These were: (1) lymphatic permeation (adjacent to the tumor); (2) tumor volume; (3) being pregnant at diagnosis and (4) lymph node metastases. A heuristic model was formulated which was based upon these four factors and by using this information it was possible to separate the patients into four distinct prognostic groups. It is suggested that this model may prove useful in identifying those patients at a higher risk of dying of disease and who would benefit from early adjuvant systemic therapy.
CitationCervical carcinoma: a hazard model in early stage disease. 1992, 2 (2):79-82 Int J Gynecol Cancer
JournalInternational Journal of Gynecological Cancer
- Preoperative prognostic variables and the impact of postoperative adjuvant therapy on the outcomes of Stage IB or II cervical carcinoma patients with or without pelvic lymph node metastases: an analysis of 891 cases.
- Authors: Lai CH, Hong JH, Hsueh S, Ng KK, Chang TC, Tseng CJ, Chou HH, Huang KG
- Issue date: 1999 Apr 1
- Lack of effect of tumor size on the prognosis of carcinoma of the uterine cervix Stage IB and IIA treated with preoperative irradiation and surgery.
- Authors: Grigsby PW, Perez CA, Chao KS, Elbendary A, Herzog TJ, Rader JS, Mutch DG
- Issue date: 1999 Oct 1
- Prognostic factors of early stage cervical cancer treated by radical hysterectomy.
- Authors: Sevin BU, Nadji M, Lampe B, Lu Y, Hilsenbeck S, Koechli OR, Averette HE
- Issue date: 1995 Nov 15
- Total laparoscopic Wertheim's radical hysterectomy versus Wertheim's radical abdominal hysterectomy in the management of stage I cervical cancer in Singapore: a pilot study.
- Authors: Lim YK, Chia YN, Yam KL
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- [Results of different postoperative adjuvant therapies for stage Ib-IIa cervical carcinoma with risk factors].
- Authors: Wen HW, Huang WP, Liu TY, Ma K, Tao X, Zhu LR, Liao QP
- Issue date: 2013 Dec