AuthorsHartley, Ann L
Birch, Jillian M
Banerjee, Saumitra S
Freemont, A J
McWilliam, L J
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign Paediatric and Familial Cancer Research Group, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSurvival data on a population-based series of bone, soft tissue and visceral sarcomas diagnosed in the North West of England between 1982-84 and subjected to histopathological peer review are presented. Five-year crude survival for all cases was 34%. Survival in males and females did not differ significantly (P = 0.6, 5-year survival 32% vs 36%) but was markedly worse for patients diagnosed over the median age of 60 years, even when allowance was made for underlying mortality (P = 0.03, 34% vs 44%). Five-year survival rates for the major site groups were: bone 44%; soft tissues of head, neck and trunk 36%; soft tissues of extremities 35%; female genital tract 35%; retroperitoneum 15%; gastro-intestinal tract 13%. Analysis by the major histological types revealed the following survival rates: leiomyosarcoma--female genital tract 25%, gastro-intestinal tract 14%, non-visceral soft tissue 21%; malignant fibrous histiocytoma of soft tissue 29%; liposarcoma 52%; osteosarcoma of bone 46%; and chondrosarcoma of bone 50%.
CitationSarcomas in north west England: III. Survival. 1992, 66 (4):685-91 Br J Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Sarcomas in north west England: II. Incidence.
- Authors: Hartley AL, Blair V, Harris M, Birch JM, Banerjee SS, Freemont AJ, McClure J, McWilliam LJ
- Issue date: 1991 Dec
- Bone versus soft-tissue sarcomas in the elderly.
- Authors: Torigoe T, Terakado A, Suehara Y, Kurosawa H, Yazawa Y, Takagi T
- Issue date: 2010 Apr
- Sarcomas in north west England: I. Histopathological peer review.
- Authors: Harris M, Hartley AL, Blair V, Birch JM, Banerjee SS, Freemont AJ, McClure J, McWilliam LJ
- Issue date: 1991 Aug
- [Pulmonary metastasectomy for osteosarcomas and soft tissue sarcomas].
- Authors: Kimura H, Suzuki M, Ando S, Iida T, Iwata T, Tatesaki S, Isii T, Yonemoto T
- Issue date: 2004 Sep
- Survival of patients with malignant primary osseous spinal neoplasms: results from the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) database from 1973 to 2003.
- Authors: Mukherjee D, Chaichana KL, Gokaslan ZL, Aaronson O, Cheng JS, McGirt MJ
- Issue date: 2011 Feb