AffiliationCRC Paediatric Group, Christie Hospital & Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCancers in infants represent less than 0.05% of all malignant neoplasms, but form a particularly interesting group for study. The ratio of solid tumours to leukaemias is 2:1 in children aged 1-14 but 5:1 in infants less than 1 year. The rate for neuroblastoma which is the most common malignancy in infants is four times higher in children aged under 1 year than in 1-14 year olds. Other embryonal tumours, e.g. Wilms', heptablastoma and retinoblastoma also show higher rates in infants. The ratios of incidence in males to females differed in a number of instances in the two age groups, e.g. in leukaemias and liver tumours the male to female ratio is greater than one in 1-14 year old children but less than one in infants. These observations suggest that many infant tumours may be aetiologically distinct. Their early onset and predominantly embryonal nature suggest a pre-natal origin and genetic factors may be important.
CitationThe epidemiology of infant cancers. 1992, 18:S2-4 Br J Cancer Suppl
JournalThe British Journal of Cancer Supplement
- Sex-specific incidence and temporal trends in solid tumours in young people from Northern England, 1968-2005.
- Authors: Magnanti BL, Dorak MT, Parker L, Craft AW, James PW, McNally RJ
- Issue date: 2008 Apr 3
- Pattern of solid malignant tumours in children--a ten-year study.
- Authors: Pramanik R, Paral CC, Ghosh A
- Issue date: 1997 Apr
- Morphological patterns of paediatric solid cancer in Lagos, Nigeria.
- Authors: Tijani SO, Elesha SO, Banjo AA
- Issue date: 1995 Jul-Sep
- [Rare tumours--are they really rare in the Polish children population?].
- Authors: Balcerska A, Godziński J, Bień E, Stachowicz-Stencel T, Sulka W, Rapała M, Izycka-Swieszewska E, Perek-Polnik M, Drogosiewicz M, Perek D, Kurylak A, Wysocki M, Madziara W, Bohosiewicz J, Kuźmicz M, Krawczuk-Rybak M, Nurzyńska-Flak J, Kowalczyk JR, Rybczyńska A, Wachowiak J, Pietras W, Kazanowska B, Chybicka A, Sopyło B, Matysiak M, Klekawka T, Balwierz W, Zalewska-Szewczyk B, Bodalski J, Pobudejska A, Sońta-Jakimczyk D, Peregud-Pogorzelski J, Fydryk J, Lapińska-Szumczyk S, Emerich J, Mańkowski P, Jankowski A, Woźniak W
- Issue date: 2004
- Trends in childhood cancer incidence in Wisconsin, 1980-1999.
- Authors: Bandi P, Dranger E, Hampton JM, Trentham-Dietz A
- Issue date: 2006 Oct