Pseudoangiosarcomatous carcinoma: a clinicopathological study of seven cases.
AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSeven cases of carcinoma mimicking angiosarcoma occurring in skin (3 cases), breast (3) and lung (1) are described. The cutaneous, pulmonary and one of the breast carcinomas were poorly differentiated and squamous in type; the other two breast tumours were poorly differentiated ductal carcinomas with focal squamous differentiation. Histologically, the pseudoangiosarcomatous pattern was due to complex anastomosing channels and spaces lined by neoplastic cells. The spaces contained hyaluronic acid. The neoplastic cells exhibited cytokeratin positivity but yielded negative results with the endothelial cell markers, factor VIII-related antigen and CD 34 (QB-END/10). Two breast tumours showed binding of UEA-1. Ultrastructurally, unequivocal epithelial differentiation was demonstrated in six of the cases. Pathogenetically, these tumours appeared to be variants of acantholytic squamous cell carcinoma. Recognition of this unusual form of carcinoma is important, as an incorrect diagnosis of angiosarcoma may lead to inappropriate treatment and prognostication.
CitationPseudoangiosarcomatous carcinoma: a clinicopathological study of seven cases. 1992, 21 (1):13-23 Histopathology
- Pseudovascular adenoid squamous cell carcinoma of the skin. A neoplasm that may be mistaken for angiosarcoma.
- Authors: Nappi O, Wick MR, Pettinato G, Ghiselli RW, Swanson PE
- Issue date: 1992 May
- Cutaneous epithelioid angiosarcoma: a clinicopathological study of four cases.
- Authors: Prescott RJ, Banerjee SS, Eyden BP, Haboubi NY
- Issue date: 1994 Nov
- Pseudoangiosarcomatous squamous cell carcinoma of skin arising adjacent to decubitus ulcers.
- Authors: Conde-Taboada A, Flórez A, De la Torre C, Feal C, García-Doval I, Cruces M
- Issue date: 2005 Apr
- Pseudoangiosarcomatous squamous cell carcinoma developing on a burn scar: a case report and review of the literature.
- Authors: Koh SH, Oh SJ, Chun H, Kim SG
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Angiomatoid carcinoma and 'angiosarcoma' of the thyroid gland. A spectrum of endothelial differentiation.
- Authors: Mills SE, Gaffey MJ, Watts JC, Swanson PE, Wick MR, LiVolsi VA, Nappi O, Weiss LM
- Issue date: 1994 Sep