AffiliationDepartment of Radiotherapy, Christie Hospital, Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, England.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA clinical trial was carried out at The Christie Hospital, Manchester, England, between November 1976 and June 1982. Following surgery, patients with clinical stage T1-T3a, N1-N2b, M0 tumors were randomly allocated in the following way: premenopausal women to either tamoxifen 20 mg/day for 1 year or to an irradiation-induced menopause; postmenopausal women to either tamoxifen for 1 year or no further treatment (controls). In the node-negative subgroup, an analysis at a median follow-up of 10 years shows no statistically significant difference in overall or disease-free survival between tamoxifen-treated patients and irradiation-induced menopause and control patients. Side effects were few, and compliance was excellent. There was no significant increase of second primary tumors in target endocrine organs in the tamoxifen-treated patients. For the whole series of 961 patients, a log-rank analysis of events, allowing for node status, still shows a statistically significant benefit for tamoxifen-treated patients (P = .04).
CitationThe Christie Hospital adjuvant tamoxifen trial. 1992 (11):121-5 J. Natl. Cancer Inst Monographs
JournalJournal of the National Cancer Institute Monographs
- Randomized trial of letrozole following tamoxifen as extended adjuvant therapy in receptor-positive breast cancer: updated findings from NCIC CTG MA.17.
- Authors: Goss PE, Ingle JN, Martino S, Robert NJ, Muss HB, Piccart MJ, Castiglione M, Tu D, Shepherd LE, Pritchard KI, Livingston RB, Davidson NE, Norton L, Perez EA, Abrams JS, Cameron DA, Palmer MJ, Pater JL
- Issue date: 2005 Sep 7
- Expression of bcl-2 protein predicts efficacy of adjuvant treatments in operable node-positive breast cancer.
- Authors: Gasparini G, Barbareschi M, Doglioni C, Palma PD, Mauri FA, Boracchi P, Bevilacqua P, Caffo O, Morelli L, Verderio P
- Issue date: 1995 Feb
- Postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy followed by adjuvant tamoxifen versus nil for patients with operable breast cancer: a randomised phase III trial of the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer Breast Group.
- Authors: Morales L, Canney P, Dyczka J, Rutgers E, Coleman R, Cufer T, Welnicka-Jaskiewicz M, Nortier J, Bogaerts J, Therasse P, Paridaens R, European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer Breast Group., Scottish Breast Cancer Trials Group.
- Issue date: 2007 Jan
- Tamoxifen after adjuvant chemotherapy for premenopausal women with lymph node-positive breast cancer: International Breast Cancer Study Group Trial 13-93.
- Authors: International Breast Cancer Study Group., Colleoni M, Gelber S, Goldhirsch A, Aebi S, Castiglione-Gertsch M, Price KN, Coates AS, Gelber RD
- Issue date: 2006 Mar 20
- A randomized trial of long term adjuvant tamoxifen plus postoperative radiation therapy versus radiation therapy alone for patients with early stage breast carcinoma treated with breast-conserving surgery. Stockholm Breast Cancer Study Group.
- Authors: Dalberg K, Johansson H, Johansson U, Rutqvist LE
- Issue date: 1998 Jun 1