AffiliationDepartment of Medical Genetics, St Mary's Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe clinical features, age at onset of symptoms and survival of 150 patients with type 2 neurofibromatosis were studied. The mean age at onset was 21.57 years (n = 110) and no patients presented after 55 years of age. Patients presented with symptoms attributable to vestibular schwannomas (acoustic neuroma), cranial meningiomas and spinal tumours. In 100 patients studied personally by the authors 44 per cent presented with deafness and this was unilateral in the majority (35/44). Deafness was accompanied by tinnitus in a further 10 per cent and muscle weakness or wasting was the first symptom in 12 per cent. Less common presenting symptoms were seizures (8 per cent), vertigo (8 per cent) numbness and tingling (2 per cent) and blindness (1 per cent). Eleven patients were diagnosed asymptomatically through screening. Café au lait spots occurred in 43 per cent (n = 43) but only one case had six. Skin tumours were detected in 68 per cent (68/100) and 38 per cent (34/90) had an identifiable lens opacity or cataract. The mean age at death in 40 cases was 36.25 years and all but one death was a result of a complication of neurofibromatosis. There are marked inter-family differences in disease severity and tumour susceptibility.
CitationA clinical study of type 2 neurofibromatosis. 1992, 84 (304):603-18 Q J Med
JournalThe Quarterly Journal of Medicine
- A genetic study of type 2 neurofibromatosis in the United Kingdom. II. Guidelines for genetic counselling.
- Authors: Evans DG, Huson SM, Donnai D, Neary W, Blair V, Newton V, Strachan T, Harris R
- Issue date: 1992 Dec
- Variation of expression of the gene for type 2 neurofibromatosis: absence of a gender effect on vestibular schwannomas, but confirmation of a preponderance of meningiomas in females.
- Authors: Evans DG, Blair V, Strachan T, Lye RH, Ramsden RT
- Issue date: 1995 Sep
- Neurofibromatosis type 2 (NF2): a clinical and molecular review.
- Authors: Evans DG
- Issue date: 2009 Jun 19
- Earliest clinical manifestations and natural history of neurofibromatosis type 2 (NF2) in childhood: a study of 24 patients.
- Authors: Ruggieri M, Iannetti P, Polizzi A, La Mantia I, Spalice A, Giliberto O, Platania N, Gabriele AL, Albanese V, Pavone L
- Issue date: 2005 Feb
- Neurofibromatosis type 2.
- Authors: Evans DG
- Issue date: 2015