Src family kinase inhibitor Saracatinib (AZD0530) impairs oxaliplatin uptake in colorectal cancer cells and blocks organic cation transporters.
AuthorsMorrow, Christopher J
Bryce, Richard A
Hickinson, D Mark
Green, Tim P
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, Manchester Cancer Research Centre and Manchester Academic Health Sciences Centre, Manchester, United Kingdom. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractElevated Src family kinase (SFK) activity is associated with tumor invasion and metastasis. The SFK inhibitor saracatinib (AZD0530) is currently in phase II trials in patients including those with colorectal cancer (CRC), where links between SFK activity and poor prognosis are particularly striking. Saracatinib is likely to be used clinically in combination regimens, specifically with 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) and oxaliplatin, in CRC. The aim of this study was to determine the effect of saracatinib on oxaliplatin and 5-FU efficacy in CRC cells. Saracatinib did not modulate 5-FU efficacy but antagonized oxaliplatin in a schedule-specific manner through reduced oxaliplatin uptake via an SFK-independent mechanism. Saracatinib resembles the pharmacophore of known organic cation transporter (OCT) inhibitors and reduced oxaliplatin efficacy maximally in cells overexpressing OCT2. These data suggest that oxaliplatin uptake in CRC is attenuated by saracatinib via inhibition of OCT2, a potential consideration for the clinical development of this SFK inhibitor.
CitationSrc family kinase inhibitor Saracatinib (AZD0530) impairs oxaliplatin uptake in colorectal cancer cells and blocks organic cation transporters. 2010, 70 (14):5931-41 Cancer Res
PubMed Central IDPMC2906706
- Antitumor activity of saracatinib (AZD0530), a c-Src/Abl kinase inhibitor, alone or in combination with chemotherapeutic agents in gastric cancer.
- Authors: Nam HJ, Im SA, Oh DY, Elvin P, Kim HP, Yoon YK, Min A, Song SH, Han SW, Kim TY, Bang YJ
- Issue date: 2013 Jan
- Gene array and fluorescence in situ hybridization biomarkers of activity of saracatinib (AZD0530), a Src inhibitor, in a preclinical model of colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Arcaroli JJ, Touban BM, Tan AC, Varella-Garcia M, Powell RW, Eckhardt SG, Elvin P, Gao D, Messersmith WA
- Issue date: 2010 Aug 15
- Phase I safety, pharmacokinetics, and inhibition of SRC activity study of saracatinib in patients with solid tumors.
- Authors: Baselga J, Cervantes A, Martinelli E, Chirivella I, Hoekman K, Hurwitz HI, Jodrell DI, Hamberg P, Casado E, Elvin P, Swaisland A, Iacona R, Tabernero J
- Issue date: 2010 Oct 1
- A phase I/II study of the Src inhibitor saracatinib (AZD0530) in combination with gemcitabine in advanced pancreatic cancer.
- Authors: Renouf DJ, Moore MJ, Hedley D, Gill S, Jonker D, Chen E, Walde D, Goel R, Southwood B, Gauthier I, Walsh W, McIntosh L, Seymour L
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- Src Inhibition Can Synergize with Gemcitabine and Reverse Resistance in Triple Negative Breast Cancer Cells via the AKT/c-Jun Pathway.
- Authors: Wu ZH, Lin C, Liu MM, Zhang J, Tao ZH, Hu XC
- Issue date: 2016