A primary sclerosing epithelioid fibrosarcoma of the pubic bone, with evidence of divergent epithelial differentiation.
AffiliationDepartment of Pathology, Second Affiliated Hospital of the Medical College, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSclerosing epithelioid fibrosarcoma (SEF) is a rare variant of fibrosarcoma, described initially by Meis-Kindblom et al. in 1995 (Meis-Kindblom JM, Kindblom L-G, Enzinger FM. Sclerosing epithelioid fibrosarcoma: a variant of fibrosarcoma simulating carcinoma. Am J Surg Pathol. 1995;19:979-993): more than 80 cases have been documented clinicopathologically since. Bone is a rare primary site for SEF, with only 2 cases so far reported. This paper documents the detailed clinical, histological, immunohistochemical, and ultrastructural features of a case occurring in the pubic bone of a 57-year-old diabetic woman presenting with a history of pain and compromised mobility involving her hip. Radiology revealed a destructive lesion in the right pubic bone. The lesion was resected, and 7 months postoperatively it recurred. The patient died following metastases to multiple bony sites and liver, some 4 years after the onset of symptoms. Histologically, the tumor was consistent with SEF, although it showed some anomalous immunostaining, which, however, is typical of the tumor (for example, for S-100 protein and epithelial membrane antigen). By electron microscopy, some rough endoplasmic reticulum was present, but also tonofibrils and desmosomes. The overall features were of an SEF with the ultrastructural but incomplete immunohistochemical evidence for divergent epithelial differentiation. The differential diagnosis of this tumor is discussed.
CitationA primary sclerosing epithelioid fibrosarcoma of the pubic bone, with evidence of divergent epithelial differentiation. 2010, 34 (2):99-104 Ultrastruct Pathol
- Oral and maxillofacial sclerosing epithelioid fibrosarcoma: report of five cases.
- Authors: Folk GS, Williams SB, Foss RB, Fanburg-Smith JC
- Issue date: 2007 Sep
- Primary sclerosing epithelioid fibrosarcoma of bone: analysis of a series.
- Authors: Wojcik JB, Bellizzi AM, Dal Cin P, Bredella MA, Fletcher CD, Hornicek FJ, Deshpande V, Hornick JL, Nielsen GP
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Sclerosing epithelioid fibrosarcoma of the kidney: clinicopathologic and molecular study of a rare neoplasm at a novel location.
- Authors: Ohlmann CH, Brecht IB, Junker K, van der Zee JA, Nistor A, Bohle RM, Stöckle M, Metzler M, Hartmann A, Agaimy A
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- Sclerosing epithelioid fibrosarcoma primary of the bone.
- Authors: Abdulkader I, Cameselle-Teijeiro J, Fraga M, Caparrini A, Forteza J
- Issue date: 2002 Jul
- MUC4 is a sensitive and extremely useful marker for sclerosing epithelioid fibrosarcoma: association with FUS gene rearrangement.
- Authors: Doyle LA, Wang WL, Dal Cin P, Lopez-Terrada D, Mertens F, Lazar AJ, Fletcher CD, Hornick JL
- Issue date: 2012 Oct