GH/IGF-I regulation in obesity--mechanisms and practical consequences in children and adults.
AffiliationDepartment of Endocrinology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGrowth hormone (GH) secretion in children and adults is profoundly, but reversibly, suppressed in obesity. Since GH deficiency leads to increased fat mass, differentiation of both conditions remains challenging. Here we review the known and still speculative mechanisms underlying the inhibitory effects of obesity on GH secretion including peripheral factors like IGF-I and insulin, as well as central hypothalamic/pituitary modulators. We further discuss the basis of current testing for GH deficiency in obesity and the validity of the various provocative tests in overweight subjects.
CitationGH/IGF-I regulation in obesity--mechanisms and practical consequences in children and adults. 2010, 73 (3):153-60 Horm Res Paediatr
JournalHormone Research in Pædiatrics
- Growth hormone in obesity.
- Authors: Scacchi M, Pincelli AI, Cavagnini F
- Issue date: 1999 Mar
- Growth hormone secretion and effects of growth hormone therapy on growth velocity and weight gain in children with Prader-Willi syndrome.
- Authors: Angulo M, Castro-Magana M, Mazur B, Canas JA, Vitollo PM, Sarrantonio M
- Issue date: 1996 May-Jun
- Growth hormone (GH) provocative retesting of 108 young adults with childhood-onset GH deficiency and the diagnostic value of insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) and IGF-binding protein-3.
- Authors: Juul A, Kastrup KW, Pedersen SA, Skakkebaek NE
- Issue date: 1997 Apr
- Hypothalamic growth hormone-insulin-like growth factor-I axis across the human life span.
- Authors: Ghigo E, Arvat E, Gianotti L, Lanfranco F, Broglio F, Aimaretti G, Maccario M, Camanni F
- Issue date: 2000
- Diagnosis of growth hormone (GH) deficiency in adults with hypothalamic-pituitary disorders: comparison of test results using pyridostigmine plus GH-releasing hormone (GHRH), clonidine plus GHRH, and insulin-induced hypoglycemia as GH secretagogues.
- Authors: Hoeck HC, Vestergaard P, Jakobsen PE, Falhof J, Laurberg P
- Issue date: 2000 Apr