GH/IGF-I regulation in obesity--mechanisms and practical consequences in children and adults.
AffiliationDepartment of Endocrinology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGrowth hormone (GH) secretion in children and adults is profoundly, but reversibly, suppressed in obesity. Since GH deficiency leads to increased fat mass, differentiation of both conditions remains challenging. Here we review the known and still speculative mechanisms underlying the inhibitory effects of obesity on GH secretion including peripheral factors like IGF-I and insulin, as well as central hypothalamic/pituitary modulators. We further discuss the basis of current testing for GH deficiency in obesity and the validity of the various provocative tests in overweight subjects.
CitationGH/IGF-I regulation in obesity--mechanisms and practical consequences in children and adults. 2010, 73 (3):153-60 Horm Res Paediatr
JournalHormone Research in Pædiatrics
- Growth hormone (GH) provocative retesting of 108 young adults with childhood-onset GH deficiency and the diagnostic value of insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) and IGF-binding protein-3.
- Authors: Juul A, Kastrup KW, Pedersen SA, Skakkebaek NE
- Issue date: 1997 Apr
- Diagnosis of growth hormone (GH) deficiency in adults with hypothalamic-pituitary disorders: comparison of test results using pyridostigmine plus GH-releasing hormone (GHRH), clonidine plus GHRH, and insulin-induced hypoglycemia as GH secretagogues.
- Authors: Hoeck HC, Vestergaard P, Jakobsen PE, Falhof J, Laurberg P
- Issue date: 2000 Apr
- Free insulin-like growth factor I serum levels in 1430 healthy children and adults, and its diagnostic value in patients suspected of growth hormone deficiency.
- Authors: Juul A, Holm K, Kastrup KW, Pedersen SA, Michaelsen KF, Scheike T, Rasmussen S, Müller J, Skakkebaek NE
- Issue date: 1997 Aug
- Growth hormone (GH) deficiency (GHD) of childhood onset: reassessment of GH status and evaluation of the predictive criteria for permanent GHD in young adults.
- Authors: Maghnie M, Strigazzi C, Tinelli C, Autelli M, Cisternino M, Loche S, Severi F
- Issue date: 1999 Apr
- Relationship between the morphological evaluation of the pituitary and the growth hormone (GH) response to GH-releasing hormone Plus arginine in children and adults with congenital hypopituitarism.
- Authors: Maghnie M, Salati B, Bianchi S, Rallo M, Tinelli C, Autelli M, Aimaretti G, Ghigo E
- Issue date: 2001 Apr