Serrano, Alicia G
AffiliationCancer Research UK, Stem Cell Biology Group, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUnderstanding how blood cells are generated is important from a biological perspective but also has potential implications in the treatment of blood diseases. Such knowledge could potentially lead to defining new conditions to amplify hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) or could translate into new methods to produce HSCs, or other types of blood cells, from human embryonic stem cells or induced pluripotent stem cells. Additionally, as most key transcription factors regulating early hematopoietic development have also been implicated in various types of leukemia, understanding their function during normal development could result in a better comprehension of their roles during abnormal hematopoiesis in leukemia. In this review, we discuss our current understanding of the molecular and cellular mechanisms of blood development from the earliest hematopoietic precursor, the hemangioblast, a precursor for both endothelial and hematopoietic cell lineages.
CitationBlood cell generation from the hemangioblast. 2010, 88 (2):167-72 J. Mol. Med.
JournalJournal of Molecular Medicine
- Mapping mouse hemangioblast maturation from headfold stages.
- Authors: Rhee JM, Iannaccone PM
- Issue date: 2012 May 1
- Application of small molecule CHIR99021 leads to the loss of hemangioblast progenitor and increased hematopoiesis of human pluripotent stem cells.
- Authors: Galat Y, Elcheva I, Dambaeva S, Katukurundage D, Beaman K, Iannaccone PM, Galat V
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- An expandable, inducible hemangioblast state regulated by fibroblast growth factor.
- Authors: Vereide DT, Vickerman V, Swanson SA, Chu LF, McIntosh BE, Thomson JA
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 9
- Hemogenic endothelium: a vessel for blood production.
- Authors: Antas VI, Al-Drees MA, Prudence AJ, Sugiyama D, Fraser ST
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Generating human hematopoietic stem cells in vitro -exploring endothelial to hematopoietic transition as a portal for stemness acquisition.
- Authors: Slukvin II
- Issue date: 2016 Nov