OGO: an ontological approach for integrating knowledge about orthology.
AffiliationDepartamento de Informática y Sistemas, Universidad de Murcia, Murcia, 30100, Spain. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: There exist several information resources about orthology of genes and proteins, and there are also systems for querying those resources in an integrated way. However, caveats with current approaches include lack of integration, since results are shown sequentially by resource, meaning that there is redundant information and the users are required to combine the results obtained manually. RESULTS: In this paper we have applied the Ontological Gene Orthology approach, which makes use of a domain ontology to integrate the information output from selected orthology resources. The integrated information is stored in a knowledge base, which can be queried through semantic languages. A friendly user interface has been developed to facilitate the search; consequently, users do not need to have knowledge on ontologies or ontological languages to obtain the relevant information. CONCLUSION: The development and application of our approach allows users to retrieve integrated results when querying orthology information, providing a gene product-oriented output instead of a traditional information resource-oriented one. Besides this benefit for users, it also allows a better exploitation and management of orthology information and knowledge.
CitationOGO: an ontological approach for integrating knowledge about orthology. 2009, 10 Suppl 10:S13 BMC Bioinformatics
- KA-SB: from data integration to large scale reasoning.
- Authors: Roldán-García Mdel M, Navas-Delgado I, Kerzazi A, Chniber O, Molina-Castro J, Aldana-Montes JF
- Issue date: 2009 Oct 1
- Towards Semantic e-Science for Traditional Chinese Medicine.
- Authors: Chen H, Mao Y, Zheng X, Cui M, Feng Y, Deng S, Yin A, Zhou C, Tang J, Jiang X, Wu Z
- Issue date: 2007 May 9
- Understanding and using the meaning of statements in a bio-ontology: recasting the Gene Ontology in OWL.
- Authors: Aranguren ME, Bechhofer S, Lord P, Sattler U, Stevens R
- Issue date: 2007 Feb 20
- Columba: an integrated database of proteins, structures, and annotations.
- Authors: Trissl S, Rother K, Müller H, Steinke T, Koch I, Preissner R, Frömmel C, Leser U
- Issue date: 2005 Mar 31
- Formal ontology for natural language processing and the integration of biomedical databases.
- Authors: Simon J, Dos Santos M, Fielding J, Smith B
- Issue date: 2006 Mar-Apr