Phase II trial of pertuzumab and trastuzumab in patients with human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive metastatic breast cancer that progressed during prior trastuzumab therapy.
Wardley, Andrew M
McNally, Virginia A
Ross, Graham A
AffiliationVall d'Hebron Institute of Oncology, Vall d'Hebron University Hospital, Paseo Vall d'Hebron 119-129, Barcelona, Spain E-08035. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE; Pertuzumab, a human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2) -targeted monoclonal antibody, potently inhibits HER2 dimerization and HER-mediated signaling pathways. Pertuzumab and the approved HER2-targeted monoclonal antibody trastuzumab have complementary mechanisms of action and result in enhanced antitumor activity when combined. This phase II trial assessed the efficacy and safety profile of the combination in patients with HER2-positive breast cancer whose disease had progressed during prior trastuzumab-based therapy. PATIENTS AND METHODS: This was a multicenter, open-label, single-arm, Simon two-stage study. Patients with advanced HER2-positive breast cancer in whom disease progression had occurred during prior trastuzumab-based therapy received trastuzumab weekly (4 mg/kg loading dose, then 2 mg/kg every week) or every 3 weeks (8 mg/kg loading dose, then 6 mg/kg every 3 weeks) and pertuzumab every 3 weeks (840 mg loading dose, then 420 mg every 3 weeks). Treatment continued until disease progression or excessive toxicity. RESULTS: All 66 patients were assessable for efficacy and safety. The objective response rate was 24.2%, and the clinical benefit rate was 50%. Five patients (7.6%) experienced a complete response, 11 patients (16.7%) experienced a partial response, and 17 patients (25.8%) experienced stable disease of > or = 6 months. Median progression-free survival was 5.5 months. Overall, the combination of pertuzumab and trastuzumab was well tolerated, and adverse events were mild to moderate. Cardiac dysfunction was minimal, and no patients withdrew as a result of cardiac-related adverse events. CONCLUSION: The combination of pertuzumab and trastuzumab is active and well tolerated in patients with metastatic HER2-positive breast cancer who had experienced progression during prior trastuzumab therapy.
CitationPhase II trial of pertuzumab and trastuzumab in patients with human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive metastatic breast cancer that progressed during prior trastuzumab therapy. 2010, 28 (7):1138-44 J. Clin. Oncol.
JournalJournal of Clinical Oncology
- Pertuzumab and trastuzumab with or without metronomic chemotherapy for older patients with HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer (EORTC 75111-10114): an open-label, randomised, phase 2 trial from the Elderly Task Force/Breast Cancer Group.
- Authors: Wildiers H, Tryfonidis K, Dal Lago L, Vuylsteke P, Curigliano G, Waters S, Brouwers B, Altintas S, Touati N, Cardoso F, Brain E
- Issue date: 2018 Mar
- Pertuzumab monotherapy after trastuzumab-based treatment and subsequent reintroduction of trastuzumab: activity and tolerability in patients with advanced human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive breast cancer.
- Authors: Cortés J, Fumoleau P, Bianchi GV, Petrella TM, Gelmon K, Pivot X, Verma S, Albanell J, Conte P, Lluch A, Salvagni S, Servent V, Gianni L, Scaltriti M, Ross GA, Dixon J, Szado T, Baselga J
- Issue date: 2012 May 10
- Fixed-dose combination of pertuzumab and trastuzumab for subcutaneous injection plus chemotherapy in HER2-positive early breast cancer (FeDeriCa): a randomised, open-label, multicentre, non-inferiority, phase 3 study.
- Authors: Tan AR, Im SA, Mattar A, Colomer R, Stroyakovskii D, Nowecki Z, De Laurentiis M, Pierga JY, Jung KH, Schem C, Hogea A, Badovinac Crnjevic T, Heeson S, Shivhare M, Kirschbrown WP, Restuccia E, Jackisch C, FeDeriCa study group.
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- Phase II Study of Weekly Paclitaxel with Trastuzumab and Pertuzumab in Patients with Human Epidermal Growth Receptor 2 Overexpressing Metastatic Breast Cancer: 5-Year Follow-up.
- Authors: Wang R, Smyth LM, Iyengar N, Chandarlapaty S, Modi S, Jochelson M, Patil S, Norton L, Hudis CA, Dang CT
- Issue date: 2019 Aug
- Efficacy and Safety of Gemcitabine With Trastuzumab and Pertuzumab After Prior Pertuzumab-Based Therapy Among Patients With Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor 2-Positive Metastatic Breast Cancer: A Phase 2 Clinical Trial.
- Authors: Iyengar NM, Smyth LM, Lake D, Gucalp A, Singh JC, Traina TA, DeFusco P, Fornier MN, Goldfarb S, Jhaveri K, Modi S, Troso-Sandoval T, Patil S, Ulaner GA, Jochelson M, Norton L, Hudis CA, Dang CT
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 1