Resonant Mie scattering (RMieS) correction of infrared spectra from highly scattering biological samples.
Byrne, Hugh J
Brown, Michael D
Clarke, Noel W
AffiliationSchool of Chemical Engineering and Analytical Science, Manchester Interdisciplinary Biocentre, University of Manchester, 131 Princess Street, Manchester, UK M1 7DN.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInfrared spectra of single biological cells often exhibit the 'dispersion artefact' observed as a sharp decrease in intensity on the high wavenumber side of absorption bands, in particular the Amide I band at approximately 1655 cm(-1), causing a downward shift of the true peak position. The presence of this effect makes any biochemical interpretation of the spectra unreliable. Recent theory has shed light on the origins of the 'dispersion artefact' which has been attributed to resonant Mie scattering (RMieS). In this paper a preliminary algorithm for correcting RMieS is presented and evaluated using simulated data. Results show that the 'dispersion artefact' appears to be removed; however, the correction is not perfect. An iterative approach was subsequently implemented whereby the reference spectrum is improved after each iteration, resulting in a more accurate correction. Consequently the corrected spectra become increasingly more representative of the pure absorbance spectra. Using this correction method reliable peak positions can be obtained.
CitationResonant Mie scattering (RMieS) correction of infrared spectra from highly scattering biological samples. 2010, 135 (2):268-77 Analyst
- FTIR microscopy of biological cells and tissue: data analysis using resonant Mie scattering (RMieS) EMSC algorithm.
- Authors: Bassan P, Sachdeva A, Kohler A, Hughes C, Henderson A, Boyle J, Shanks JH, Brown M, Clarke NW, Gardner P
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 21
- RMieS-EMSC correction for infrared spectra of biological cells: extension using full Mie theory and GPU computing.
- Authors: Bassan P, Kohler A, Martens H, Lee J, Jackson E, Lockyer N, Dumas P, Brown M, Clarke N, Gardner P
- Issue date: 2010 Aug
- Resonant Mie scattering in infrared spectroscopy of biological materials--understanding the 'dispersion artefact'.
- Authors: Bassan P, Byrne HJ, Bonnier F, Lee J, Dumas P, Gardner P
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- Resonant Mie scattering (RMieS) correction applied to FTIR images of biological tissue samples.
- Authors: Bambery KR, Wood BR, McNaughton D
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 7
- Mie scatter corrections in single cell infrared microspectroscopy.
- Authors: Konevskikh T, Lukacs R, Blümel R, Ponossov A, Kohler A
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 23