Antimigratory and antimetastatic effect of heparin-derived 4-18 unit oligosaccharides in a preclinical human melanoma metastasis model.
Gallagher, John T
AffiliationDepartment of Tumor Progression, National Institute of Oncology, Budapest, Hungary.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHeparin and its derivatives have been shown to inhibit angiogenesis and metastasis formation. Accordingly, we investigated the effect of heparin fragments containing 4 to 22 monomers on human melanoma cell proliferation, migration and invasion in vitro as well as on the in vivo metastatic potential in a SCID mouse model. Only oligosaccharide dp18 had significant inhibitory effect on cell proliferation. In contrast, cell migration was inhibited by all oligosaccharides studied except dp8 and dp22. Anti-CD44v3 antibody stimulated cell migration and invasion, and this effect could be attenuated by oligosaccharides dp4 and dp18. These fragments also inhibited the catalytic activity of myosin light chain phosphatase as well. Moreover, oligosaccharides dp4 and dp18 reduced the number of lung colonies formed in SCID mice intravenously injected with human melanoma cells, while dp22 proved to be ineffective in this respect. These studies revealed that fragments of heparin have an antimigratory and antimetastatic potential. These fragments lack the haemostatic effect of heparin, suggesting that they are potential specific antimetastatic agents in anticancer therapy.
CitationAntimigratory and antimetastatic effect of heparin-derived 4-18 unit oligosaccharides in a preclinical human melanoma metastasis model. 2009, 102 (6):1265-73 Thromb. Haemost.
JournalThrombosis and Haemostasis
- Antimetastatic effect of an orally active heparin derivative on experimentally induced metastasis.
- Authors: Lee DY, Park K, Kim SK, Park RW, Kwon IC, Kim SY, Byun Y
- Issue date: 2008 May 1
- Structural requirements for inhibition of melanoma lung colonization by heparanase inhibiting species of heparin.
- Authors: Bitan M, Mohsen M, Levi E, Wygoda MR, Miao HQ, Lider O, Svahn CM, Ekre HP, Ishai-Michaeli R, Bar-Shavit R
- Issue date: 1995 Feb-Mar
- Effect of Wf-536, a novel ROCK inhibitor, against metastasis of B16 melanoma.
- Authors: Nakajima M, Hayashi K, Egi Y, Katayama K, Amano Y, Uehata M, Ohtsuki M, Fujii A, Oshita K, Kataoka H, Chiba K, Goto N, Kondo T
- Issue date: 2003 Oct
- Inhibition of B16-BL6 melanoma lung colonies by semisynthetic sulfaminoheparosan sulfates from E. coli K5 polysaccharide.
- Authors: Poggi A, Rossi C, Casella N, Bruno C, Sturiale L, Dossi C, Naggi A
- Issue date: 2002 Aug
- Inhibition of tumor metastasis by heparanase inhibiting species of heparin.
- Authors: Vlodavsky I, Mohsen M, Lider O, Svahn CM, Ekre HP, Vigoda M, Ishai-Michaeli R, Peretz T
- Issue date: 1994-1995