PIP5K-driven PtdIns(4,5)P2 synthesis: regulation and cellular functions.
AffiliationInositide Laboratory, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIt has long been known that phosphoinositides are present in cellular membranes, but only in the past four decades has our understanding of their importance for proper cell function advanced significantly. Key to determining the biological roles of phosphoinositides is understanding the enzymes involved in their metabolism. Although many such enzymes have now been identified, there is still much to learn about their cellular functions. Phosphatidylinositol 4-phosphate 5-kinases (PIP5Ks) are a group of kinases that catalyse the production of phosphatidylinositol (4,5)-bisphosphate [PtdIns(4,5)P(2)]. As well as being a substrate for the enzymes phospholipase C (PLC) and phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase (PI3K), PtdIns(4,5)P(2) acts as a second messenger in its own right, influencing a variety of cellular processes. In this Commentary, we review how PIP5Ks are modulated to achieve regulated PtdIns(4,5)P(2) production, and discuss the role of these proteins in different cellular processes.
CitationPIP5K-driven PtdIns(4,5)P2 synthesis: regulation and cellular functions. 2009, 122 (Pt 21):3837-50 J. Cell. Sci.
JournalJournal of Cell Science
- Rac controls PIP5K localisation and PtdIns(4,5)P₂ synthesis, which modulates vinculin localisation and neurite dynamics.
- Authors: Halstead JR, Savaskan NE, van den Bout I, Van Horck F, Hajdo-Milasinovic A, Snell M, Keune WJ, Ten Klooster JP, Hordijk PL, Divecha N
- Issue date: 2010 Oct 15
- Overexpression of murine phosphatidylinositol 4-phosphate 5-kinase type Ibeta disrupts a phosphatidylinositol 4,5 bisphosphate regulated endosomal pathway.
- Authors: Galiano FJ, Ulug ET, Davis JN
- Issue date: 2002
- Oxidants depress the synthesis of phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate in heart sarcolemma.
- Authors: Mesaeli N, Tappia PS, Suzuki S, Dhalla NS, Panagia V
- Issue date: 2000 Oct 1
- The phosphatidylinositol 4-phosphate 5-kinase family.
- Authors: Loijens JC, Boronenkov IV, Parker GJ, Anderson RA
- Issue date: 1996
- Regulation and cellular roles of phosphoinositide 5-kinases.
- Authors: Oude Weernink PA, Schmidt M, Jakobs KH
- Issue date: 2004 Oct 1