Stress-induced phosphorylation of S. pombe Atf1 abrogates its interaction with F box protein Fbh1.
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe Atf1 transcription factor is critical for directing stress-induced gene expression in fission yeast . Upon exposure to stress, Atf1 is hyperphosphorylated by the mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) Sty1 [2, 3], which results in its stabilization . The resulting increase in Atf1 is vital for a robust response to certain stresses . Here we investigated the mechanism by which phosphorylation stabilizes Atf1. We show that Atf1 is a target for the ubiquitin-proteasome system and that its degradation is dependent upon an SCF E3 ligase containing the F box protein Fbh1. Turnover of Atf1 requires an intact F box, but not DNA helicase activity of Fbh1. Accordingly, disruption of Fbh1 F box function suppresses phenotypes associated with loss of Atf1 phosphorylation. Atf1 and Fbh1 interact under basal conditions, but this binding is lost upon stress. In contrast, a version of Atf1 lacking all intact MAPK sites still interacts with Fbh1 upon stress, indicating that the association between the F box protein and substrate is disrupted by stress-induced phosphorylation. Most F box protein-substrate interactions described to date are mediated positively by phosphorylation . Thus, our findings represent a novel means of regulating the interaction between an F box protein and its substrate. Moreover, Atf1 is the first target described in any organism for the Fbh1 F box protein.
CitationStress-induced phosphorylation of S. pombe Atf1 abrogates its interaction with F box protein Fbh1. 2009, 19 (22):1907-11 Curr. Biol.
- Deciphering the role of the signal- and Sty1 kinase-dependent phosphorylation of the stress-responsive transcription factor Atf1 on gene activation.
- Authors: Salat-Canela C, Paulo E, Sánchez-Mir L, Carmona M, Ayté J, Oliva B, Hidalgo E
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 18
- Regulation of Schizosaccharomyces pombe Atf1 protein levels by Sty1-mediated phosphorylation and heterodimerization with Pcr1.
- Authors: Lawrence CL, Maekawa H, Worthington JL, Reiter W, Wilkinson CR, Jones N
- Issue date: 2007 Feb 23
- Transcription factors Atf1 and Sty1 promote stress tolerance under nitrosative stress in Schizosaccharomyces pombe.
- Authors: Kar P, Biswas P, Patra SK, Ghosh S
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Fission yeast MAP kinase Sty1 is recruited to stress-induced genes.
- Authors: Reiter W, Watt S, Dawson K, Lawrence CL, Bähler J, Jones N, Wilkinson CR
- Issue date: 2008 Apr 11
- Phospho-mimicking Atf1 mutants bypass the transcription activating function of the MAP kinase Sty1 of fission yeast.
- Authors: Sánchez-Mir L, Salat-Canela C, Paulo E, Carmona M, Ayté J, Oliva B, Hidalgo E
- Issue date: 2018 Feb