AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Haematology, Haematology Nursing Research and Practice Development, University College Hospital, University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDonating BM or peripheral stem cells is a challenging process that requires a considerable commitment on the part of the donating individual, especially when there is a relationship between donor and recipient. In order to develop a better understanding of related donor management, the research subcommittee of the European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation-Nurses Group (EBMT-NG) designed a questionnaire to survey European transplant centres. This questionnaire investigated several key areas, including guidelines, patient information, donor consent and follow-up services. It was distributed to a sample of delegates (N=150) at the 2005 meeting of the EBMT-NG. Guidelines for the information given to patients were primarily from local (33, 52%), and a combination of local and national (13, 21%) sources. Transplant information was predominantly given to related donors by the recipient's transplant team (36, 57%). A total of 33 (52%) centres indicated that donors were also consented by transplant doctors, whereas 16 (25%) identified that consent was obtained by doctors who were not connected with the transplant team. At present, there is a lack of recognized standardized guidelines for the management of related donors. The development of such guidelines would assist in maintaining patient autonomy, confidentiality and access to accurate and objective information.
CitationManagement of related donor care: a European survey. 2010, 45 (1):97-101 Bone Marrow Transplant.
JournalBone Marrow Transplantation
- Indications and donor source of hematopoietic stem cell transplants in Europe 1993: report from the European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (EBMT).
- Authors: Gratwohl A, Hermans J
- Issue date: 1995 Oct
- Blood and marrow transplantation activity in Europe 1997. European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (EBMT).
- Authors: Gratwohl A, Passweg J, Baldomero H, Hermans J
- Issue date: 1999 Aug
- Standards of stem cell transplantation: Part I: the accreditation of paediatric stem cell transplantation centres within the EBMT; Part II: intensive care units in paediatric stem cell transplantation; Part III: informed consent and sibling donor issues.
- Authors: Cornish J, Peters C
- Issue date: 2001 Aug
- Development of leukemia in donor cells after allogeneic stem cell transplantation--a survey of the European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (EBMT).
- Authors: Hertenstein B, Hambach L, Bacigalupo A, Schmitz N, McCann S, Slavin S, Gratwohl A, Ferrant A, Elmaagacli A, Schwertfeger R, Locasciulli A, Zander A, Bornhäuser M, Niederwieser D, Ruutu T, Chronic Leukaemia Working Party of the European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation.
- Issue date: 2005 Jul