Antivascular agents for non-small-cell lung cancer: current status and future directions.
Blackhall, Fiona H
Ankersmit, Hendrik Jan
Reza Hoda, Mir Ali
AffiliationChristie Hospital NHS Trust, Department of Medical Oncology, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Despite improvements in surgery and chemo(radio)therapy which have allowed for modest advances in the treatment of patients with non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC), survival remains poor and further improvements are needed. Attention over recent years has focused, therefore, on targeted therapies, with notable success in the development of antivascular drugs. OBJECTIVE: To summarize the current knowledge on antivascular therapy in patients with NSCLC. METHOD: Review of randomized controlled trials exploring treatment of NSCLC patients with antivascular drugs. RESULTS/CONCLUSION: Bevacizumab, a humanized monoclonal antibody against the vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), when added to cytotoxic chemotherapy, was the first treatment to prolong the overall survival of patients with advanced NSCLC beyond 12 months, a significant breakthrough in the management of advanced NSCLC. Small-molecule tyrosine kinase inhibitors and alternative antivascular strategies such as VEGF-trap and vascular disrupting agents are also being investigated and have shown promise in clinical trials. This review summarizes the most recent and important findings in antivascular agents in NSCLC.
CitationAntivascular agents for non-small-cell lung cancer: current status and future directions. 2009, 18 (11):1667-86 Expert Opin Investig Drugs
JournalExpert Opinion on Investigational Drugs
- Targeting blood vessels for the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Amir E, Hughes S, Blackhall F, Thatcher N, Ostoros G, Timar J, Tovari J, Kovacs G, Dome B
- Issue date: 2008 Aug
- Antiangiogenic therapy in nonsmall cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Gutierrez M, Giaccone G
- Issue date: 2008 Mar
- The potential of antiangiogenic therapy in non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Giaccone G
- Issue date: 2007 Apr 1
- Recent developments of targeted therapies in the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Rossi A, Maione P, Colantuoni G, Ferrara C, Rossi E, Guerriero C, Nicolella D, Falanga M, Palazzolo G, Gridelli C
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- The emerging role of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitors.
- Authors: Langer CJ, Natale RB
- Issue date: 2005 Dec