Joint practice guidelines for radionuclide lymphoscintigraphy for sentinel node localization in oral/oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma.
AuthorsAlkureishi, Lee W T
Alvarez, Julio A
Britten, Alan J
de Bree, Remco
Gray, Harry W
Kovacs, Adorjan F
Leemans, C Rene
Sorensen, Jens A
Stoeckli, Sandro J
Thomsen, Jorn B
Ross, Gary L
AffiliationDepartment of Plastic Surgery, University of Chicago Medical Center, Chicago, USA. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInvolvement of the cervical lymph nodes is the most important prognostic factor for patients with oral/oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC), and the decision whether to electively treat patients with clinically negative necks remains a controversial topic. Sentinel node biopsy (SNB) provides a minimally invasive method of determining the disease status of the cervical node basin, without the need for a formal neck dissection. This technique potentially improves the accuracy of histological nodal staging and avoids over-treating three-quarters of this patient population, minimizing associated morbidity. The technique has been validated for patients with OSCC, and larger-scale studies are in progress to determine its exact role in the management of this patient population. This article was designed to outline the current best practice guidelines for the provision of SNB in patients with early-stage OSCC, and to provide a framework for the currently evolving recommendations for its use. These guidelines were prepared by a multidisciplinary surgical/nuclear medicine/pathology expert panel under the joint auspices of the European Association of Nuclear Medicine (EANM) Oncology Committee and the Sentinel European Node Trial Committee.
CitationJoint practice guidelines for radionuclide lymphoscintigraphy for sentinel node localization in oral/oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma. 2009, 36 (11):1915-36 Eur. J. Nucl. Med. Mol. Imaging
JournalEuropean Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging
- Joint practice guidelines for radionuclide lymphoscintigraphy for sentinel node localization in oral/oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Alkureishi LW, Burak Z, Alvarez JA, Ballinger J, Bilde A, Britten AJ, Calabrese L, Chiesa C, Chiti A, de Bree R, Gray HW, Hunter K, Kovacs AF, Lassmann M, Leemans CR, Mamelle G, McGurk M, Mortensen J, Poli T, Shoaib T, Sloan P, Sorensen JA, Stoeckli SJ, Thomsen JB, Trifiro G, Werner J, Ross GL, European Association of Nuclear Medicine Oncology Committee., European Sentinel Node Biopsy Trial Committee.
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy in node-negative squamous cell carcinoma of the oral cavity and oropharynx.
- Authors: Burns P, Foster A, Walshe P, O'Dwyer T
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy in oral and oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma: current status and unresolved challenges.
- Authors: Bluemel C, Rubello D, Colletti PM, de Bree R, Herrmann K
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- Effectiveness of lymphoscintigraphic sentinel node detection for cervical staging of patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck.
- Authors: Payoux P, Dekeister C, Lopez R, Lauwers F, Esquerré JP, Paoli JR
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- The use of sentinel node biopsy to upstage the clinically N0 neck in head and neck cancer.
- Authors: Ross G, Shoaib T, Soutar DS, Camilleri IG, Gray HW, Bessent RG, Robertson AG, MacDonald DG
- Issue date: 2002 Nov