Divergent differentiation in urothelial carcinoma and other bladder cancer subtypes with selected mimics.
AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractConventional urothelial carcinoma accounts for most carcinomas of the urinary tract lining. However, neoplastic urothelium has the capacity to demonstrate enormous plasticity. A variety of unusual architectural patterns of urothelial carcinoma, such as the nested, microcystic and inverted variants, can be mistaken for reactive processes or benign tumours. Others such as the micropapillary, plasmacytoid and discohesive variants, can mimic metastatic tumour from other sites. The micropapillary variant in particular is more aggressive. In addition, urothelial carcinoma has a propensity to demonstrate divergent differentiation with glandular, squamous, small cell neuroendocrine, lymphoepithelioma-like, sarcomatoid or other elements. Pure squamous carcinoma or adenocarcinoma (the latter in particular) can be difficult to distinguish from contiguous or metastatic spread. Some variants have prognostic and potential therapeutic implications. Molecular genetic evidence has emerged recently supporting a close relationship between urothelial carcinoma and various divergent elements. Sarcomatoid carcinoma and its differential diagnosis with other spindle cell lesions of urinary tract will be covered in a separate review.
CitationDivergent differentiation in urothelial carcinoma and other bladder cancer subtypes with selected mimics. 2009, 54 (7):885-900 Histopathology
- Recently described and unusual variants of urothelial carcinoma of the urinary bladder.
- Authors: Samaratunga H, Delahunt B
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- Carcinoma of the urinary bladder: a review of its diverse morphology.
- Authors: Eble JN, Young RH
- Issue date: 1997 May
- High-grade urothelial carcinoma of the renal pelvis: clinicopathologic study of 108 cases with emphasis on unusual morphologic variants.
- Authors: Perez-Montiel D, Wakely PE, Hes O, Michal M, Suster S
- Issue date: 2006 Apr
- Urothelial carcinoma with villoglandular differentiation: a study of 14 cases.
- Authors: Lim M, Adsay NV, Grignon D, Osunkoya AO
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- [Specific types of bladder cancer].
- Authors: Bertz S, Hartmann A, Knüchel-Clarke R, Gaisa NT
- Issue date: 2016 Feb