Woven polydioxanone biodegradable stents: a new treatment option for benign and malignant oesophageal strictures.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: We present our initial experience with a new biodegradable (BD) esophageal stent in two patients, one for a therapy-resistant benign esophageal stricture, and the other as a temporary measure during curative radiotherapy for oesophageal carcinoma. METHODS: The BD stents need to be loaded into a conventional pull-back delivery system but are then placed in a standard fashion. Pre-dilatation should be avoided to reduce the risk of migration, however if migration occurs the stents can be left to dissolve in the stomach. The stents are radiolucent but easily identified on CT with minimal artefact and thus might even aid with radiotherapy planning. RESULTS: BD stents offer an exciting new strategy for therapy-resistant benign strictures as well as a supportive measure for oesophageal cancer undergoing non-surgical treatment.
CitationWoven polydioxanone biodegradable stents: a new treatment option for benign and malignant oesophageal strictures. 2010, 20 (5):1069-72 Eur Radiol
- The use of biodegradable stents in malignant oesophageal strictures for the treatment of dysphagia before neoadjuvant treatment or radical radiotherapy: a feasibility study.
- Authors: Krokidis M, Burke C, Spiliopoulos S, Gkoutzios P, Hynes O, Ahmed I, Dourado R, Sabharwal T, Mason R, Adam A
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- The role of biodegradable stents in the management of benign and malignant oesophageal strictures: A cohort study.
- Authors: McCain S, McCain S, Quinn B, Gray R, Morton J, Rice P
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Efficacy and safety of biodegradable stents for refractory benign esophageal strictures: the BEST (Biodegradable Esophageal Stent) study.
- Authors: Repici A, Vleggaar FP, Hassan C, van Boeckel PG, Romeo F, Pagano N, Malesci A, Siersema PD
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- The use of biodegradable (SX-ELLA) oesophageal stents to treat dysphagia due to benign and malignant oesophageal disease.
- Authors: Griffiths EA, Gregory CJ, Pursnani KG, Ward JB, Stockwell RC
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- Biodegradable polydioxanone stents: a new option for therapy-resistant anastomotic strictures of the colon.
- Authors: Janík V, Horák L, Hnaníček J, Málek J, Laasch HU
- Issue date: 2011 Sep