Phase II study of amrubicin as second-line therapy in patients with platinum-refractory small-cell lung cancer.
AuthorsEttinger, David S
Lorigan, Paul C
Spigel, David R
Dudek, Arkadiusz Z
McNally, Richard J Q
Renschler, Markus F
Oliver, Jennifer W
AffiliationSidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, MD, USA. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE: Amrubicin is a synthetic anthracycline with potent topoisomerase II inhibition. This phase II study was conducted to confirm safety and activity of amrubicin in the treatment of refractory small-cell lung cancer (SCLC). PATIENTS AND METHODS: Patients with refractory SCLC (either with progressive disease as best response or progression within 90 days of first-line therapy) received amrubicin (40 mg/m(2)/d for 3 every 21 days). The primary end point was overall response rate (ORR); secondary end points included progression-free survival (PFS), overall survival (OS), and change in left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF). RESULTS: Seventy-five patients with a median progression-free interval after first-line therapy of 38 days were enrolled; 69 patients received a median of four amrubicin cycles (range, one to 12 cycles). The ORR was 21.3% (95% CI, 12.7% to 32.3%), with one complete response (1.3%) and 15 partial responses (20%). Median PFS and OS were 3.2 months (95% CI, 2.4 to 4.0 months) and 6.0 months (95% CI, 4.8 to 7.1 months), respectively. The ORR in 43 patients who never responded to first-line therapy was 16.3% (95% CI, 6.8% to 30.7%). Most commonly reported grade 3 or 4 adverse events included neutropenia (67%), thrombocytopenia (41%), and anemia (30%), with febrile neutropenia in 12%. There was no decrease in mean LVEF with cumulative amrubicin doses exceeding 750 mg/m(2). CONCLUSION: Single-agent amrubicin showed promising activity with a 21.3% ORR and an acceptable safety profile when used as second-line therapy patients with platinum-refractory SCLC. Amrubicin did not induce early cardiotoxicity, but its long-term effects are unknown.
CitationPhase II study of amrubicin as second-line therapy in patients with platinum-refractory small-cell lung cancer. 2010, 28 (15):2598-603 J Clin Oncol
JournalJournal of Clinical Oncology
- A phase II study of amrubicin, a synthetic 9-aminoanthracycline, in patients with previously treated lung cancer.
- Authors: Kaira K, Sunaga N, Tomizawa Y, Yanagitani N, Shimizu K, Imai H, Utsugi M, Iwasaki Y, Iijima H, Tsurumaki H, Yoshii A, Fueki N, Hisada T, Ishizuka T, Saito R, Mori M
- Issue date: 2010 Jul
- Phase II trial of amrubicin and carboplatin in patients with sensitive or refractory relapsed small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Hirose T, Nakashima M, Shirai T, Kusumoto S, Sugiyama T, Yamaoka T, Okuda K, Ohnishi T, Ohmori T, Adachi M
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Randomized phase II trial comparing amrubicin with topotecan in patients with previously treated small-cell lung cancer: North Japan Lung Cancer Study Group Trial 0402.
- Authors: Inoue A, Sugawara S, Yamazaki K, Maemondo M, Suzuki T, Gomi K, Takanashi S, Inoue C, Inage M, Yokouchi H, Watanabe H, Tsukamoto T, Saijo Y, Ishimoto O, Hommura F, Nukiwa T
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 20
- Phase II trial of amrubicin for treatment of refractory or relapsed small-cell lung cancer: Thoracic Oncology Research Group Study 0301.
- Authors: Onoda S, Masuda N, Seto T, Eguchi K, Takiguchi Y, Isobe H, Okamoto H, Ogura T, Yokoyama A, Seki N, Asaka-Amano Y, Harada M, Tagawa A, Kunikane H, Yokoba M, Uematsu K, Kuriyama T, Kuroiwa Y, Watanabe K, Thoracic Oncology Research Group Study 0301.
- Issue date: 2006 Dec 1
- Randomized phase III trial of amrubicin versus topotecan as second-line treatment for patients with small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: von Pawel J, Jotte R, Spigel DR, O'Brien ME, Socinski MA, Mezger J, Steins M, Bosquée L, Bubis J, Nackaerts K, Trigo JM, Clingan P, Schütte W, Lorigan P, Reck M, Domine M, Shepherd FA, Li S, Renschler MF
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 10