Prediction of risk of distant recurrence using the 21-gene recurrence score in node-negative and node-positive postmenopausal patients with breast cancer treated with anastrozole or tamoxifen: a TransATAC study.
Forbes, John F
Mallon, Elizabeth A
Baehner, Frederick L
AffiliationRoyal Marsden Hospital,Wolfson Institute for Preventive Medicine, Queen Mary University of London London. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE To determine whether the Recurrence Score (RS) provided independent information on risk of distant recurrence (DR) in the tamoxifen and anastrozole arms of the Arimidex, Tamoxifen, Alone or in Combination (ATAC) Trial. PATIENTS AND METHODS RNA was extracted from 1,372 tumor blocks from postmenopausal patients with hormone receptor-positive primary breast cancer in the monotherapy arms of ATAC. Twenty-one genes were assessed by quantitative reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction, and the RS was calculated. Cox proportional hazards models assessed the value of adding RS to a model with clinical variables (age, tumor size, grade, and treatment) in node-negative (N0) and node-positive (N+) women. RESULTS Reportable scores were available from 1,231 evaluable patients (N0, n = 872; N+, n = 306; and node status unknown, n = 53); 72, 74, and six DRs occurred in N0, N+, and node status unknown patients, respectively. For both N0 and N+ patients, RS was significantly associated with time to DR in multivariate analyses (P < .001 for N0 and P = .002 for N+). RS also showed significant prognostic value beyond that provided by Adjuvant! Online (P < .001). Nine-year DR rates in low (RS < 18), intermediate (RS = 18 to 30), and high RS (RS > or = 31) groups were 4%, 12%, and 25%, respectively, in N0 patients and 17%, 28%, and 49%, respectively, in N+ patients. The prognostic value of RS was similar in anastrozole- and tamoxifen-treated patients. CONCLUSION This study confirmed the performance of RS in postmenopausal HR+ patients treated with tamoxifen in a large contemporary population and demonstrated that RS is an independent predictor of DR in N0 and N+ hormone receptor-positive patients treated with anastrozole, adding value to estimates with standard clinicopathologic features.
CitationPrediction of risk of distant recurrence using the 21-gene recurrence score in node-negative and node-positive postmenopausal patients with breast cancer treated with anastrozole or tamoxifen: a TransATAC study. 2010, 28 (11):1829-34 J Clin Oncol
JournalJournal of Clinical Oncology
- Prediction of late distant recurrence after 5 years of endocrine treatment: a combined analysis of patients from the Austrian breast and colorectal cancer study group 8 and arimidex, tamoxifen alone or in combination randomized trials using the PAM50 risk of recurrence score.
- Authors: Sestak I, Cuzick J, Dowsett M, Lopez-Knowles E, Filipits M, Dubsky P, Cowens JW, Ferree S, Schaper C, Fesl C, Gnant M
- Issue date: 2015 Mar 10
- The 21-gene Recurrence Score® assay predicts distant recurrence in lymph node-positive, hormone receptor-positive, breast cancer patients treated with adjuvant sequential epirubicin- and docetaxel-based or epirubicin-based chemotherapy (PACS-01 trial).
- Authors: Penault-Llorca F, Filleron T, Asselain B, Baehner FL, Fumoleau P, Lacroix-Triki M, Anderson JM, Yoshizawa C, Cherbavaz DB, Shak S, Roca L, Sagan C, Lemonnier J, Martin AL, Roché H
- Issue date: 2018 May 4
- Anastrozole alone or in combination with tamoxifen versus tamoxifen alone for adjuvant treatment of postmenopausal women with early-stage breast cancer: results of the ATAC (Arimidex, Tamoxifen Alone or in Combination) trial efficacy and safety update analyses.
- Authors: Baum M, Buzdar A, Cuzick J, Forbes J, Houghton J, Howell A, Sahmoud T, ATAC (Arimidex, Tamoxifen Alone or in Combination) Trialists' Group.
- Issue date: 2003 Nov 1
- Prognostic and predictive value of the 21-gene recurrence score assay in postmenopausal women with node-positive, oestrogen-receptor-positive breast cancer on chemotherapy: a retrospective analysis of a randomised trial.
- Authors: Albain KS, Barlow WE, Shak S, Hortobagyi GN, Livingston RB, Yeh IT, Ravdin P, Bugarini R, Baehner FL, Davidson NE, Sledge GW, Winer EP, Hudis C, Ingle JN, Perez EA, Pritchard KI, Shepherd L, Gralow JR, Yoshizawa C, Allred DC, Osborne CK, Hayes DF, Breast Cancer Intergroup of North America.
- Issue date: 2010 Jan
- Effect of anastrozole and tamoxifen as adjuvant treatment for early-stage breast cancer: 10-year analysis of the ATAC trial.
- Authors: Cuzick J, Sestak I, Baum M, Buzdar A, Howell A, Dowsett M, Forbes JF, ATAC/LATTE investigators.
- Issue date: 2010 Dec