Promutagenic methylation damage in bladder DNA from patients with bladder cancer associated with schistosomiasis and from normal individuals.
AffiliationInstitute for Graduate Studies and Research, University of Alexandria, Egypt.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRadioimmunoassays (RIAs) have been used to detect the promutagenic lesion O6-methyldeoxyguanosine (O6-MedG) in DNA isolated from the bladder tissues of Egyptian patients presenting with bladder carcinoma and concomitant schistosomiasis (bilharziasis), a parasitic disease known to be associated with the presence of N-nitrosamines in the urine. Alkylation damage was present in the DNA of the majority of the samples (44/46, 96%); 38 samples were of tumour tissue and 8 from uninvolved bladder mucosa. Levels of O6-MedG ranged from undetectable (ND; i.e. less than 0.01 mumol O6-MedG/mol dG) to 0.485 mumol/mol dG with an overall mean of 0.134 +/- 0.10 mumol/mol dG, including the two samples that were below the limit of detection. In contrast, methylation damage was detected in only 4/12 (33%) of the DNA samples from normal bladder tissue of European origin. In these samples levels of O6-MedG ranged from ND to 0.225 mumol/mol dG with an overall mean of 0.046 +/- 0.082 mumol O6-MedG/mol dG. These results confirm that alkylation events can be detected in the DNA of schistosome-infected human bladder tissue. The methylation of uninvolved and tumour tissue DNA to similar extents suggests that the alkylating intermediate may have been present in the urine. These results indicate the need for further investigation to determine whether relationships exist between levels of DNA damage and the prevalence of schistosome infection and/or the extent and type of bacterial infection that frequently accompanies this disease.
CitationPromutagenic methylation damage in bladder DNA from patients with bladder cancer associated with schistosomiasis and from normal individuals. 1992, 13 (5):877-81 Carcinogenesis
- O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase activity in schistosomiasis-associated human bladder cancer.
- Authors: Badawi AF, Cooper DP, Mostafa MH, Aboul-Azm T, Barnard R, Margison GP, O'Connor PJ
- Issue date: 1994
- Frequency of Ki-ras mutations and DNA alkylation in colorectal tissue from individuals living in Manchester.
- Authors: Jackson PE, Hall CN, Badawi AF, O'Connor PJ, Cooper DP, Povey AC
- Issue date: 1996 May
- Effects of ethanol and various alcoholic beverages on the formation of O6-methyldeoxyguanosine from concurrently administered N-nitrosomethylbenzylamine in rats: a dose-response study.
- Authors: Yamada Y, Weller RO, Kleihues P, Ludeke BI
- Issue date: 1992 Jul
- Promutagenic methylation damage in liver DNA of mice infected with Schistosoma mansoni.
- Authors: Badawi AF, Cooper DP, Mostafa MH, Doenhoff MJ, Probert A, Fallon P, Cooper R, O'Connor PJ
- Issue date: 1993 Apr
- Relationships between the formation of O6-methyldeoxyguanosine by 1-p-carboxyl-3,3-dimethylphenyltriazene in DNA and O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase in human peripheral leukocytes.
- Authors: Lee SM, O'Connor PJ, Thatcher N, Crowther D, Margison GP, Cooper DP
- Issue date: 1994 Aug 1