AffiliationDepartment of Chemistry, Keele University, Staffs, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAll-trans beta-carotene radical anion efficiently transfers an electron to oxygen but the reverse reaction is not observed and, instead we suggest the formation of a beta-carotene-superoxide radical addition complex. On the other hand, all-trans lycopene undergoes a reversible electron transfer with the superoxide radical. This distinctive behaviour may be related to the anti-cancer properties of these molecules.
CitationCarotene-oxygen radical interactions. 1992, 16 (6):401-8 Free Radic. Res. Commun.
JournalFree Radical Research Communications
- Anti-inflammatory Activity of β-Carotene, Lycopene and Tri-<i>n</i>-butylborane, a Scavenger of Reactive Oxygen Species.
- Authors: Kawata A, Murakami Y, Suzuki S, Fujisawa S
- Issue date: 2018 Mar-Apr
- Lycopene inhibits the isomerization of β-carotene during quenching of singlet oxygen and free radicals.
- Authors: Heymann T, Heinz P, Glomb MA
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 1
- Scavenging of nitrogen dioxide, thiyl, and sulfonyl free radicals by the nutritional antioxidant beta-carotene.
- Authors: Everett SA, Dennis MF, Patel KB, Maddix S, Kundu SC, Willson RL
- Issue date: 1996 Feb 23
- Protection by beta-carotene and related compounds against oxygen-mediated cytotoxicity and genotoxicity: implications for carcinogenesis and anticarcinogenesis.
- Authors: Rousseau EJ, Davison AJ, Dunn B
- Issue date: 1992 Oct
- Radical cation generation from singlet and triplet excited states of all-trans-lycopene in chloroform.
- Authors: Han RM, Wu YS, Feng J, Ai XC, Zhang JP, Skibsted LH
- Issue date: 2004 Sep-Oct