C-terminally truncated human O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase retains activity.
AffiliationCRC Department of Carcinogenesis, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital (NHS) Trust, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA cDNA encoding the human O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase (ATase; EC 22.214.171.124; methylated-DNA: protein-cysteine methyltransferase) has been manipulated to generate a C-terminally deleted protein which retains full methyl-transfer activity. The elimination of 22 amino-acid residues from the C-terminus was achieved by endonuclease-SacI digestion of the 623 bp cDNA coding sequence and ligation of a SacI/HindIII linker containing an in-frame stop codon. The truncated protein was characterized by its reduced molecular mass in immunoblots probed with an antiserum against the full-length protein and by fluorography after incubation with [3H]methylated calf thymus DNA. The rate of methyl transfer was virtually identical for the full-length and truncated ATases. The construction of such a truncated, yet still functional, ATase, with a molecular mass of 19.7 kDa should facilitate a detailed n.m.r. structural study and help to determine the functional significance of the C-terminal domain of mammalian ATases.
CitationC-terminally truncated human O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase retains activity. 1992, 285 ( Pt 3):707-9 Biochem. J.
- Site directed mutagenesis of two cysteine residues in the E. coli ogt O6-alkylguanine DNA alkyltransferase protein.
- Authors: Harris LC, Potter PM, Margison GP
- Issue date: 1992 Aug 31
- Isolation and partial characterization of murine O6-alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferase: comparative sequence and structural properties.
- Authors: Santibanez-Koref M, Elder RH, Fan CY, Cawkwell L, McKie JH, Douglas KT, Margison GP, Rafferty JA
- Issue date: 1992
- Extent of formation of O4-methylthymidine in calf thymus DNA methylated by N-methyl-N-nitrosourea and lack of repair of this product by rat liver O6-alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferase.
- Authors: Dolan ME, Pegg AE
- Issue date: 1985 Nov
- Characterisation and nucleotide sequence of ogt, the O6-alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferase gene of E. coli.
- Authors: Potter PM, Wilkinson MC, Fitton J, Carr FJ, Brennand J, Cooper DP, Margison GP
- Issue date: 1987 Nov 25