"Stem cell" origin of the hematopoietic defect in dyskeratosis congenita.
AuthorsMarsh, Judith C W
Will, A J
Hows, J M
Darbyshire, P J
Williamson, Peter J
Oscier, D G
Dexter, T Michael
Testa, Nydia G
AffiliationCRC Department of Experimental Hematology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe have used the long-term bone marrow culture (LTBMC) system to analyze hematopoiesis in three patients with dyskeratosis congenita (DC), two of whom had aplastic anemia, and the third had a normal blood count (apart from mild macrocytosis) and normal BM cellularity. Hematopoiesis was severely defective in all three patients, as measured by a low incidence of colony-forming cells and a low level of hematopoiesis in LTBMC. The function of the marrow stroma was normal in its ability to support the growth of hematopoietic progenitors from normal marrows seeded onto them in all three cases, but the generation of hematopoietic progenitors from patients marrow cells inoculated onto normal stromas was reduced, thus suggesting the defect to be of stem cell origin. The parents and unaffected brother of one of the families have also been studied in LTBMC and all showed normal hematopoietic and stromal cell function. From this study we speculate that there are some similarities between DC and the defect in the W/Wv mouse.
Citation"Stem cell" origin of the hematopoietic defect in dyskeratosis congenita. 1992, 79 (12):3138-44 Blood
- The hematopoietic defect in aplastic anemia assessed by long-term marrow culture.
- Authors: Marsh JC, Chang J, Testa NG, Hows JM, Dexter TM
- Issue date: 1990 Nov 1
- The assessment of the hematopoietic reservoir after immunosuppressive therapy or bone marrow transplantation in severe aplastic anemia.
- Authors: Podesta M, Piaggio G, Frassoni F, Pitto A, Zikos P, Sessarego M, Abate M, Teresa Van Lint M, Berisso G, Bacigalupo A
- Issue date: 1998 Mar 15
- The membrane-bound isoform of stem cell factor synergizes with soluble flt3 ligand in supporting early hematopoietic cells in long-term cultures of normal and aplastic anemia bone marrow.
- Authors: Slanicka Krieger M, Nissen C, Manz CY, Toksoz D, Lyman SD, Wodnar-Filipowicz A
- Issue date: 1998 May
- Interferon-gamma constitutively expressed in the stromal microenvironment of human marrow cultures mediates potent hematopoietic inhibition.
- Authors: Selleri C, Maciejewski JP, Sato T, Young NS
- Issue date: 1996 May 15
- Immunologically mediated aplastic anemia in mice: evidence of hematopoietic stromal injury and injury to hematopoietic stem cells.
- Authors: Knospe WH, Husseini SG, Chiu KM, Fried W
- Issue date: 1994 Jul