Site directed mutagenesis of two cysteine residues in the E. coli ogt O6-alkylguanine DNA alkyltransferase protein.
AffiliationCRC Department of Chemical Carcinogenesis, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe E. coli ogt O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase has two cysteine residues positioned identically with respect to cysteines in the E. coli ada O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase. In order to assess their function, these residues were each substituted by a glycine to generate altered forms of the ogt protein. Mutagenesis of cysteine-139, located within a 'PCHRV' region of homology, eliminated functional activity confirming that this residue is the methyl-accepting cysteine in the active site of the protein. Substitution of cysteine 102 within the sequence 'LRTIPCG' had little effect on the ogt protein activity demonstrating that this cysteine is not directly involved with the transfer of O6-methylguanine adducts.
CitationSite directed mutagenesis of two cysteine residues in the E. coli ogt O6-alkylguanine DNA alkyltransferase protein. 1992, 187 (1):425-31 Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun.
JournalBiochemical and Biophysical Research Communications
- The role of the carboxyl-terminal tail in human O6-methylguanine DNA methyltransferase substrate specificity and temperature sensitivity.
- Authors: Morgan SE, Kelley MR, Pieper RO
- Issue date: 1993 Sep 15
- Characterisation and nucleotide sequence of ogt, the O6-alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferase gene of E. coli.
- Authors: Potter PM, Wilkinson MC, Fitton J, Carr FJ, Brennand J, Cooper DP, Margison GP
- Issue date: 1987 Nov 25
- Site-directed mutagenesis of glutamic acid 172 to glutamine completely inactivated human O6-alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferase.
- Authors: Rafferty JA, Tumelty J, Skorvaga M, Elder RH, Margison GP, Douglas KT
- Issue date: 1994 Feb 28
- Expression in mammalian cells of the Escherichia coli O6 alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferase gene ogt reduces the toxicity of alkylnitrosoureas.
- Authors: Harris LC, Margison GP
- Issue date: 1993 Jun
- Purification to homogeneity and partial amino acid sequence of a fragment which includes the methyl acceptor site of the human DNA repair protein for O6-methylguanine.
- Authors: Major GN, Gardner EJ, Carne AF, Lawley PD
- Issue date: 1990 Mar 25