AuthorsHows, Jill M
Marsh, Judith C W
Bradley, B A
Coutinho, Lucia H
Testa, Nydia G
Dexter, T Michael
AffiliationKay Kendall Laboratory, Paterson Institute, Cancer Research Campaign, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn a preliminary study we have shown that optimally collected human umbilical cord (HUC) blood cells grow significantly better in long term cultures (LTC) than normal adult marrow cells (NBM) p = 0.0007. The LTC findings are supported by the observation in clonogenic assay that a similar number of GM-CFC colonies can be grown from HUC blood and NBM mononuclear cells (MNC). Also there is a trend towards a higher proportion of primitive erythroid (BFU-E) and primitive megakaryocyte colonies (MK-CFC containing greater than 20 cells) in HUC blood compared with NBM. We suggest that further work on the feasibility of a HLA typed, cryopreserved HUC blood bank as a source of unrelated haemopoietic 'stem' cells for clinical transplantation is indicated.
CitationHuman cord blood: a source of transplantable stem cells? 1992, 9 Suppl 1:105-8 Bone Marrow Transplant.
JournalBone Marrow Transplantation
- Hematopoietic transplant potential of unrelated cord blood: critical issues.
- Authors: Kögler G, Callejas J, Hakenberg P, Enczmann J, Adams O, Däubener W, Krempe C, Göbel U, Somville T, Wernet P
- Issue date: 1996 Apr
- Modified in vitro conditions for cord blood-derived long-term culture-initiating cells.
- Authors: Podestà M, Piaggio G, Pitto A, Zocchi E, Soracco M, Frassoni F, Luchetti S, Painelli E, Bacigalupo A
- Issue date: 2001 Mar
- Engraftment potential of peripheral and cord blood stem cells evaluated by a long-term culture system.
- Authors: Hirao A, Kawano Y, Takaue Y, Suzue T, Abe T, Sato J, Saito S, Okamoto Y, Makimoto A, Kawahito M
- Issue date: 1994 Jun
- Phenotype and function of human hematopoietic cells engrafting immune-deficient CB17-severe combined immunodeficiency mice and nonobese diabetic-severe combined immunodeficiency mice after transplantation of human cord blood mononuclear cells.
- Authors: Pflumio F, Izac B, Katz A, Shultz LD, Vainchenker W, Coulombel L
- Issue date: 1996 Nov 15
- Ex vivo expansion of megakaryocyte progenitors from cryopreserved umbilical cord blood. A potential source of megakaryocytes for transplantation.
- Authors: Pick M, Eldor A, Grisaru D, Zander AR, Shenhav M, Deutsch VR
- Issue date: 2002 Sep