AuthorsHows, Jill M
Marsh, Judith C W
Bradley, B A
Coutinho, Lucia H
Testa, Nydia G
Dexter, T Michael
AffiliationKay Kendall Laboratory, Paterson Institute, Cancer Research Campaign, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn a preliminary study we have shown that optimally collected human umbilical cord (HUC) blood cells grow significantly better in long term cultures (LTC) than normal adult marrow cells (NBM) p = 0.0007. The LTC findings are supported by the observation in clonogenic assay that a similar number of GM-CFC colonies can be grown from HUC blood and NBM mononuclear cells (MNC). Also there is a trend towards a higher proportion of primitive erythroid (BFU-E) and primitive megakaryocyte colonies (MK-CFC containing greater than 20 cells) in HUC blood compared with NBM. We suggest that further work on the feasibility of a HLA typed, cryopreserved HUC blood bank as a source of unrelated haemopoietic 'stem' cells for clinical transplantation is indicated.
CitationHuman cord blood: a source of transplantable stem cells? 1992, 9 Suppl 1:105-8 Bone Marrow Transplant.
JournalBone Marrow Transplantation
- Engraftment potential of peripheral and cord blood stem cells evaluated by a long-term culture system.
- Authors: Hirao A, Kawano Y, Takaue Y, Suzue T, Abe T, Sato J, Saito S, Okamoto Y, Makimoto A, Kawahito M
- Issue date: 1994 Jun
- Density separation of umbilical cord blood and recovery of hemopoietic progenitor cells: implications for cord blood banking.
- Authors: Almici C, Carlo-Stella C, Mangoni L, Garau D, Cottafavi L, Ventura A, Armanetti M, Wagner JE, Rizzoli V
- Issue date: 1995 Sep
- Evaluation of the in vitro behavior of phenotypically defined populations of umbilical cord blood hematopoietic progenitor cells.
- Authors: Traycoff CM, Abboud MR, Laver J, Brandt JE, Hoffman R, Law P, Ishizawa L, Srour EF
- Issue date: 1994 Feb
- Clonogenic capacity and ex vivo expansion potential of umbilical cord blood progenitor cells are not impaired by cryopreservation.
- Authors: Almici C, Carlo-Stella C, Wagner JE, Mangoni L, Garau D, Re A, Giachetti R, Cesana C, Rizzoli V
- Issue date: 1997 Jun
- Ex vivo expansion and clonality of CD34+ selected cells from bone marrow and cord blood in a serum-free media.
- Authors: Kim SK, Koh SK, Song SU, Shin SH, Choi GS, Kim WC, Lee MH, Seoh JY, Park SK, Fraser JK
- Issue date: 2002 Dec 31