Mechanisms behind the resistance of spheroids to photodynamic treatment: a flow cytometry study.
AffiliationDepartment of Experimental Radiation Oncology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe influence of cell heterogeneity on response to photodynamic treatment (PDT) has been investigated using the human colon adenocarcinoma line WiDr, grown as spheroids and exposed to hematoporphyrin derivative. The spheroids show a marked spheroid size-dependent resistance to PDT. Using a flow cytometer, cell sub-populations have been separated, on the basis of drug fluorescence, from single cell suspensions prepared from 500 microm diameter spheroids. Cells low in fluorescence have been shown to be resistant to PDT, have a smaller median cell volume, and be enhanced in G1-type cells. These cells also show reduced low density lipoprotein uptake. The results suggest that spheroid size-dependent resistance to PDT is related to a decreasing growth fraction with increasing spheroid size. Heterogeneity of drug uptake could be a potential limitation to clinical PDT.
CitationMechanisms behind the resistance of spheroids to photodynamic treatment: a flow cytometry study. 1992, 55 (3):425-30 Photochem. Photobiol.
JournalPhotochemistry and Photobiology
- Flow cytometric analysis of intracellular hematoporphyrin derivative in human tumor cells and multicellular spheroids.
- Authors: West CM, Moore JV
- Issue date: 1989 Nov
- Size-dependent resistance of human tumour spheroids to photodynamic treatment.
- Authors: West CM
- Issue date: 1989 Apr
- Resistance to photodynamic therapy in radiation induced fibrosarcoma-1 and Chinese hamster ovary-multi-drug resistant. Cells in vitro.
- Authors: Singh G, Wilson BC, Sharkey SM, Browman GP, Deschamps P
- Issue date: 1991 Aug
- Photodynamic therapy of transitional cell carcinoma multicellular tumor spheroids with hypericin.
- Authors: Kamuhabwa AA, Huygens A, De Witte PA
- Issue date: 2003 Nov
- Anti-tumour activity of photodynamic therapy in combination with mitomycin C in nude mice with human colon adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Ma LW, Moan J, Steen HB, Iani V
- Issue date: 1995 May