Growth of human umbilical-cord blood in longterm haemopoietic cultures.
AuthorsHows, Jill M
Bradley, B A
Marsh, Judith C W
Coutinho, Lucia H
Testa, Nydia G
Dexter, T Michael
AffiliationKay Kendall Laboratory, Paterson Institute, Cancer Research Campaign, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCryopreserved human umbilical-cord (HUC) blood is an alternative to bone marrow as a source of haemopoietic "stem" cells for HLA-identical transplantation of children with leukaemia or Fanconi's anaemia. We have studied the in-vitro growth potential of HUC blood in clonogenic assays and in longterm haemopoietic cultures. Clonogenic assays showed that HUC blood produced as many haemopoietic-cell colonies as normal adult bone marrow and a higher proportion of primitive-cell colonies. In longterm culture on preformed irradiated marrow stroma, both progenitor-cell production and lifespan of cultures were significantly greater in HUC blood than in normal bone marrow (p = 0.0007). Our findings indicate that the quality and quantity of HUC-blood-derived haemopoietic "stem" cells are better than those of normal bone marrow. Therefore, single HUC-blood donations are probably sufficient for adults requiring transplantation for leukaemia and other haemopoietic disorders. Banking of HLA-typed HUC blood to facilitate transplantation of patients who lack a family donor should be considered.
CitationGrowth of human umbilical-cord blood in longterm haemopoietic cultures. 1992, 340 (8811):73-6 Lancet
- Human cord blood: a source of transplantable stem cells?
- Authors: Hows JM, Marsh JC, Bradley BA, Luft T, Coutinho L, Testa NG, Dexter TM
- Issue date: 1992
- Possible mechanisms accounting for the growth factor independence of hematopoietic progenitors from umbilical cord blood.
- Authors: Schibler KR, Li Y, Ohls RK, Nye NC, Durham MC, White W, Liechty KW, Le T, Christensen RD
- Issue date: 1994 Dec 1
- Evaluation of the in vitro behavior of phenotypically defined populations of umbilical cord blood hematopoietic progenitor cells.
- Authors: Traycoff CM, Abboud MR, Laver J, Brandt JE, Hoffman R, Law P, Ishizawa L, Srour EF
- Issue date: 1994 Feb
- Analysis of cord blood CD34+ cells purified after cryopreservation.
- Authors: Nicol A, Nieda M, Donaldson C, Denning-Kendall P, Bradley B, Hows J
- Issue date: 1995 Dec
- Release from quiescence of CD34+ CD38- human umbilical cord blood cells reveals their potentiality to engraft adults.
- Authors: Cardoso AA, Li ML, Batard P, Hatzfeld A, Brown EL, Levesque JP, Sookdeo H, Panterne B, Sansilvestri P, Clark SC
- Issue date: 1993 Sep 15