Detection of EBV DNA in post-nasal space biopsy tissue from asymptomatic EBV-seropositive individuals.
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe association between EBV and nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC) has been well documented although the precise role of the virus in the genesis of the tumour is not understood. We undertook this study to examine the prevalence of EBV infection in nasopharyngeal tissue obtained from 33 healthy individuals not considered to be at risk of developing NPC. Using polymerase chain amplification (PCR) and in situ hybridization we have identified EBV DNA in 70% (23/33) of the tissues examined. Our data demonstrate that EBV is present at the site of tumour development in the low-risk population and by inference that the virus is also present before the onset of disease in the high-risk group. This survey supports the concept of NPC pathogenesis as a multifactorial process.
CitationDetection of EBV DNA in post-nasal space biopsy tissue from asymptomatic EBV-seropositive individuals. 1992, 37 (1):30-8 J. Med. Virol.
JournalJournal of Medical Virology
- Epstein-Barr virus detection in nasopharyngeal tissues of patients with suspected nasopharyngeal carcinoma.
- Authors: Tsai ST, Jin YT, Mann RB, Ambinder RF
- Issue date: 1998 Apr 15
- Comparative analysis of Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) detection by nested-PCR and non-isotopic in situ hybridization in nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC).
- Authors: Vera-Sempere F, Burgos J, Botella MS, Morera C
- Issue date: 1998 Mar 23
- Nasopharyngeal brush biopsies and detection of nasopharyngeal cancer in a high-risk population.
- Authors: Tune CE, Liavaag PG, Freeman JL, van den Brekel MW, Shpitzer T, Kerrebijn JD, Payne D, Irish JC, Ng R, Cheung RK, Dosch HM
- Issue date: 1999 May 5
- Detection of Epstein-Barr virus DNA sequences in nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells by enzymatic DNA amplification.
- Authors: Chang YS, Tyan YS, Liu ST, Tsai MS, Pao CC
- Issue date: 1990 Nov
- Detection of Epstein-Barr virus DNA and HHV-6 DNA in tissue biopsies from patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma by polymerase chain reaction.
- Authors: Kositanont U, Kondo K, Chongkolwatana C, Metheetrairut C, Puthavathana P, Chantarakul N, Wasi C, Yamanishi K
- Issue date: 1993 Sep