AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDNA extracted from 29 colorectal carcinomas and 40 sporadic adenomas was amplified by the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and analysed for the presence of K-ras gene mutations at codon 12 using a panel of synthetic oligonucleotide probes specific for normal and mutated sequences. The presence of mutations was correlated with various histopathological and clinical data. Ten carcinomas (34.5%) and 14 sporadic adenomas (35%) showed K-ras mutations at codon 12. In the carcinoma group, no apparent correlation was found between the presence of mutant oncogenes and the degree of histological differentiation, Dukes' staging or the development of distant metastasis. In the adenoma group, the frequency of mutations increased with the size of the adenoma and the severity of the dysplastic changes. This study confirms that ras gene mutations are common and early events in colon carcinogenesis. They appear to give a selective growth advantage to those polyps with mutations which leads to their increase in size and thus possibly prepare the ground for malignant transformation.
CitationK-ras gene mutations in adenomas and carcinomas of the colon. 1992, 1 (4):275-82 Surg Oncol
- K-ras gene mutation in colorectal adenomas and carcinomas from familial adenomatous polyposis patients.
- Authors: Boughdady IS, Kinsella AR, Haboubi NY, Schofield PF
- Issue date: 1992 Aug
- K-ras mutations in aberrant crypt foci, adenomas and adenocarcinomas during azoxymethane-induced colon carcinogenesis.
- Authors: Vivona AA, Shpitz B, Medline A, Bruce WR, Hay K, Ward MA, Stern HS, Gallinger S
- Issue date: 1993 Sep
- Analysis of K-ras codon 12 mutation in flat and nodular variants of serrated adenoma in the colon.
- Authors: Higashidani Y, Tamura S, Morita T, Tadokoro T, Yokoyama Y, Miyazaki J, Yang Y, Takeuchi S, Taguchi H, Onishi S
- Issue date: 2003 Mar
- Somatic APC and K-ras codon 12 mutations in periampullary adenomas and carcinomas from familial adenomatous polyposis patients.
- Authors: Gallinger S, Vivona AA, Odze RD, Mitri A, O'Beirne CP, Berk TC, Bapat BV
- Issue date: 1995 May 4
- Presence of mutations in all three ras genes in human thyroid tumors.
- Authors: Suarez HG, du Villard JA, Severino M, Caillou B, Schlumberger M, Tubiana M, Parmentier C, Monier R
- Issue date: 1990 Apr