AffiliationDepartment of Experimental Biology and Medicine, Ruder Boskovic Institute, Zagreb, Croatia.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMouse bone marrow cells were incubated with methionine- or leucine-enkephalin (10(-15)-10(-6) M) before seeding into soft agar cultures. In marrow samples harvested at different times, enkephalins decreased GM colony count on average by 30-40%. In individual experiments, however, the same concentration of enkephalins caused even stimulation, or at other times had effect. In view of the circadian periodicity of neuroendocrine functions and hematopoietic activity, the enkephalin effect on bone marrow cells was tested on marrow samples harvested at fixed time points (6 am, 6 pm), using enkephalin concentrations in the physiological range (10(-12)-10(-9) M). The seeding efficiency of the 6-pm cell population was on average 50% above that of the 6-am population. The 6-pm cell population was also more susceptible to the inhibitory effect of the enkephalins (35% inhibition) than the 6-am population (15% inhibition), and the variability in response was considerably reduced. With progenitor cell-enriched population, obtained by fluorescence-activated cell sorting (FACS) of 6-am bone marrow samples, in 3 out of 6 experiments Met- and Leu-enkephalin showed 30-35% inhibition of GM colony formation over a wide range of concentrations (10(-15)-10(-6)). In the other 3 experiments, suppression as well as stimulation or no alteration in colony count were observed. This variability probably reflected quality (purity) of the progenitor cell population, and may indicate that the enkephalins affected hematopoietic cells via a population of accessory cells.
CitationEffect of enkephalins on bone marrow cells. 1992, 46 (8):367-73 Biomed. Pharmacother.
JournalBiomedicine & Pharmacotherapy
- Naloxone behaves as opioid agonist/antagonist in clonal cultures of mouse bone marrow cells.
- Authors: Krizanac-Bengez L, Boranić M, Testa NG
- Issue date: 1995
- The comparative enhancing effects of prostaglandin E1 on colony formation by erythroid progenitor (BFU-E) cells from bone marrow of mice differing in the Fv-2 locus.
- Authors: Hangoc G, Lu L, Broxmeyer HE
- Issue date: 1987
- [The participation of opiatergic mechanisms in the regulation of bone marrow hematopoiesis in stress].
- Authors: Zakharova OIu, Dygaĭ AM, Shakhov VP, Gol'dberg ED
- Issue date: 1989 Nov-Dec
- The modulating influence of enkephalins on the bone marrow haemopoiesis in stress.
- Authors: Goldberg ED, Dygai AM, Zakharova O, Shakhov VP
- Issue date: 1990
- Hematopoietic effects of benzene inhalation assessed by murine long-term bone marrow culture.
- Authors: Chertkov JL, Lutton JD, Jiang S, da Silva JL, Abraham NG
- Issue date: 1992 Apr