Multilineage phenotypes of interleukin-3-dependent progenitor cells.
AffiliationLeukaemia Research Fund Centre, Chester Beatty Laboratories, London, England.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInterleukin-3 (IL-3)-dependent murine FDCP-mix cells have multilineage differentiation capacity; they are nonleukemic, have a normal karyotype, and are nonimmortalized. These cells coexpress on their cell surface the "early" B-lineage marker B220/CD45R and the myeloid marker Mac-1/iC3b receptor (CR3), transcribe germline T-cell receptor gamma genes, and express the macrophage lineage growth factor receptor gene c-fms as a predominant 8.4-kb transcript. They do not detectably express at the stable mRNA or protein level other lymphoid precursor cell genes including CD2, TdT, lambda 5, and BP1. Induction of granulocyte/macrophage differentiation in these cells closes down expression of the lymphoid genes and activates stable expression of genes specific to the myeloid lineage, including myeloperoxidase. Expression of the c-fms gene at the mRNA level is upregulated and the dominant stable transcript is now in the 4.1-kb form typical of the macrophage lineage. These data provide a plausible explanation for the coexpression of lymphoid and myeloid lineage markers on human leukemic cells of stem cell or progenitor cell origin and have implications for the programming of lineage potential in normal multipotential hematopoiteic progenitor cells.
CitationMultilineage phenotypes of interleukin-3-dependent progenitor cells. 1992, 79 (8):1962-71 Blood
- Flt3 ligand induces the outgrowth of Mac-1+B220+ mouse bone marrow progenitor cells restricted to macrophage differentiation that coexpress early B cell-associated genes.
- Authors: Dannaeus K, Johannisson A, Nilsson K, Jönsson JI
- Issue date: 1999 Nov
- Transcriptional regulation of the c-fms proto-oncogene mediated by granulocyte/macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF) in murine cell lines.
- Authors: Helftenbein G, Krusekopf K, Just U, Cross M, Ostertag W, Niemann H, Tamura T
- Issue date: 1996 Feb 15
- In vitro induction of inhibitory macrophage differentiation by granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor, stem cell factor and interferon-gamma from lineage phenotypes-negative c-kit-positive murine hematopoietic progenitor cells.
- Authors: Ferret-Bernard S, Saï P, Bach JM
- Issue date: 2004 Feb 15
- D3: a gene induced during myeloid cell differentiation of Linlo c-Kit+ Sca-1(+) progenitor cells.
- Authors: Weiler SR, Gooya JM, Ortiz M, Tsai S, Collins SJ, Keller JR
- Issue date: 1999 Jan 15
- Induced expression of c-fms in normal hematopoietic cells shows evidence for both conservation and lineage restriction of signal transduction in response to macrophage colony-stimulating factor.
- Authors: McArthur GA, Rohrschneider LR, Johnson GR
- Issue date: 1994 Feb 15