Scarffe, J Howard
Ranson, Malcolm R
Kamthan, A G
Russell, S A
Wilkinson, M J
Ostick, D G
AffiliationCRC Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract65 patients with metastatic gastric carcinoma were treated with a combination of methotrexate 1.5 g/m2 with 5-fluorouracil 1.5 g/m2 on day 1 and doxorubicin 30 mg/m2 with mitomycin 4 mg/m2 on day 14. Cycles of chemotherapy were repeated every 4 weeks. The overall response rate was 29% with 6% complete responses and 23% partial responses. Prognostic factors that individually affected response were Karnofsky performance (P less than 0.002), and site of the primary tumour (P less than 0.007). Multivariate analysis showed that only increasing Karnofsky performance (P = 0.01) and disease status (P less than 0.02) (patients with recurrent tumours responding better than patients with postoperative residual disease and those with inoperable disease) were important in predicting response to therapy. The overall median survival was 7 months. All 4 patients with a complete response are alive in remission at 13, 28, 48 and 52 months from the date of starting chemotherapy. Univariate analysis identified increasing Karnofsky performance (P less than 0.0001), response to chemotherapy (P less than 0.02) and higher serum albumin (P less than 0.03) as prognostic indicators for survival. Multivariate analysis, of pretreatment factors and day 14 full blood count showed that only Karnofsky performance (P less than 0.0001) and day 14 platelet count (P less than 0.03) were shown to predict survival, higher platelet values being associated with decreased survival.
CitationMMAF for advanced gastric cancer. 1991, 27 (10):1234-8 Eur. J. Cancer
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- FAM2 regimen in disseminated gastric cancer.
- Authors: Fornasiero A, Cartei G, Daniele O, Fosser V, Fiorentino MV
- Issue date: 1984 Feb 29
- Cisplatin, etoposide, and weekly high-dose 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin infusion (PE-HDFL)--a very effective regimen with good patients' compliance for advanced gastric cancer.
- Authors: Cheng AL, Yeh KH, Lin JT, Hsu C, Liu MY
- Issue date: 1998 Mar-Apr
- The combination of cisplatin, doxorubicin, and mitomycin (PAM) compared with the FAM regimen in treating advanced gastric carcinoma. A phase II randomized trial of the Italian Oncology Group for Clinical Research.
- Authors: De Lisi V, Cocconi G, Angelini F, Cavicchi F, Di Costanzo F, Gilli G, Rodinò C, Soldani M, Tonato M, Finardi C
- Issue date: 1996 Jan 15
- Further studies on the treatment of advanced gastric cancer by 5-fluorouracil, Adriamycin (doxorubicin), and mitomycin C (modified FAM).
- Authors: Haim N, Epelbaum R, Cohen Y, Robinson E
- Issue date: 1984 Nov 1
- Open phase II with 5-fluorouracil, 4-epi-doxorubicin and mitomycin C (FEM) in advanced gastric cancer.
- Authors: Roth A, Zupanc D, Luetić J, Kolarić K
- Issue date: 1990 Feb 28